EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Welp, it's 105 with a high of 110 this week, it's the hottest it's ever been this early in the 4-5 years since I moved to Texas. I have a feeling I'm going to lose some birds this summer at this rate :/ We already have one silkie rooster who's not tolerating the heat well today, but there's nothing I can do about it if he can't survive. I'm not letting birds live in my house.

We have misters up and iceblocks out for them to lean against.... but it is what it is :(

That's a bit hot. We're expecting 90's Monday and Tuesday.

ours has full free range ability, usually when it's hot, they hide under the fig tree by our well house. We mist that for them.

they also like to camp out by our front door. LOL
Here’s some free range for you.
This afternoon turkeys are starting to hatch.
717AFB86-9FB3-4486-B8C0-A79E5A99394D.jpeg

Been a busy day with chickens. 4 more in camp fridge and moved a bunch of coops bird wise. Put chicks in barn brooder. Mixed the week olds with the two day olds. Figured I’d have to watch the big ones so they didn’t mess with the little ones. Nope. The one that hatched last had all five cornered. Goofy little thing.

I haven't seen any wild turkeys with poults this year. Seen a few wild turkeys though.
They will get down to about 3 per hen soon. Probably 5 poults not in picture.
I think a doe deer has decided that the breezeway between the barns will be a good place to have her fawn. Yesterday while checking on newly placed chicks I scared her out twice. She’s been hanging around quite a bit.

Lately I’ve seen a lot of geese co-brooding. A mom will be in one area with 4-1,000,000 goslings, and then another gaggle will be a few yards away. I think I saw four families at one point. Then they start walking with Momma, babies, mother, babies... It’s quite cute. But only because it’s not on my property. :lol:

Howdy y'all. Been hotter than hades here and Honeybee's moved out of the sleep sack and into normal footie pjs and a blanket. He's rolling over front to back and back to front and got all four teeth broken through and coming in. Bottom middle teeth and the two eye teeth on the top. Seven months and almost ready to join family dinners instead of puree.

Chickens are tolerating the heat well enough, thanks to being able to eat tons of greens from the company barbecue and the various parties we have in the summer. Husband needs to cut back the path leading out to the run, because I ain't been able to get out there because it's overgrown with nettles and weeds.

Got a sale going on in the shop to move some product, and I'm going to start making some new soaps tomorrow for restocking and experimenting. I'm keeping busy-ish and trying to focus on being a mom AND taking care of myself.

Back
Top Bottom