EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

The sporadic but brief warm ups have made it bearable.
A few years ago, we had a deep snow cover most of the winter. Quite unusual for us.
I swore that year I would never have to carry water 3 times a day again. Here I am years later not having the heated/circulated water systems complete yet.
Your weather has probably had the same pattern as mine. Very cold November, fairly mild December and then polar vortex with about three 2 day breaks up into the 50s. One day a couple weeks ago touched 70. 50s today, high 60s tomorrow, then a cold snowy weekend. There's light at the end of the tunnel. Looks like we're only going to hit the teens a couple more nights this year.
On the bright side, the warm ups allowed me to look into the bee hives. Entered the winter with 3 hives. Last check, only one was alive but it was very strong. I'll be slipping a pollen patty in with the 3/4 consumed candy board today.
The two empty hives have lots of frames of drawn comb. I'll be moving them into my chest freezer to hold them for a new nuc and expansion.

:clap I almost forgot to laugh :gig

Yes, we get about the same weather as you, only a day later. It must shoot across I70. :gig

One week ago, the dog’s new tie out cable arrived. It was junk in 24 hours. I was given a refund, and ordered a different one. It was due Monday, but just arrived ten minutes ago. Unfortunately, not before the old one broke, and slashed Maaco by his eye forty minutes ago.

As I am typing this, the bulb blew in the 3-week-old brooder, and they are flipping out. :lol:

One week ago, the dog’s new tie out cable arrived. It was junk in 24 hours. I was given a refund, and ordered a different one. It was due Monday, but just arrived ten minutes ago. Unfortunately, not before the old one broke, and slashed Maaco by his eye forty minutes ago.

As I am typing this, the bulb blew in the 3-week-old brooder, and they are flipping out. :lol:
Bamadude and RonOtt convinced me how much cheaper it was to have a Premier 1 heat plate. It pays for itself in one brooding and it doesn't burn out in the middle of the night.
Otherwise use a two lamp setup using ceramic heat emitters.
A friend brought her new border collie put over and tied him out on a rope tether. 15 minutes later we got a call from up the road where someone found the dog running loose. He chewed through the rope in a heartbeat. Metal cable is essential.

Bamadude and RonOtt convinced me how much cheaper it was to have a Premier 1 heat plate. It pays for itself in one brooding and it doesn't burn out in the middle of the night.
Otherwise use a two lamp setup using ceramic heat emitters.
A friend brought her new border collie put over and tied him out on a rope tether. 15 minutes later we got a call from up the road where someone found the dog running loose. He chewed through the rope in a heartbeat. Metal cable is essential.
This was metal. It seems >80% of people have luck with it. With a 700 pound break strength, some still break with small dogs. Not to mention the clasp opening at will.
D920D3EC-00FA-4752-81ED-9D188A743E30.jpeg

:barnie

This was metal. It seems >80% of people have luck with it. With a 700 pound break strength, some still break with small dogs. Not to mention the clasp opening at will.
View attachment 1672470
I also don't recommend trying to tie a goat up with one of those...Oops!!!!
(found the goat after walking down the road a ways, she was fine...)

I also don't recommend trying to tie a goat up with one of those...Oops!!!!
(found the goat after walking down the road a ways, she was fine...)
Former owner tied goat up to a stake near a tree. Unfortunately he didn’t find him walking down the road. It climbed over the tree branch fell and hung himself.

Back
Top Bottom