EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

If you look very close in that red line, part of my chicken house roofs are blowing in it. Headed for the Atlantic ocean.
Screenshot_2018-04-15-15-58-10 copy.jpg

I'm posting this all over town... Hope I don't get in trouble, but;
Broody chicks in a small, elevated nesting box. Should I leave them there? Should I try to move her, baby & other eggs into a lower area? Should I try to cram chick start & water up there?

The baby is completely dry & pecking at stuff. Must've hatched last night or really early this morning. I'm told they don't need anything for 24 hours, but its hot here & I don't want mom or baby dehydrating.

Did you do it?

Nope, because I was trying to find a more humane way of doing it that didn't involve bloodshed, and my husband took pity on me and said "fine, you catch the stupid things, and I'll do the dirty work."

So, we butchered the ones who wouldn't allow us to pick them up or acted threatening to me, or the kids when they went to grab the roosters.

We have 2 silkies with the silkies, a silkie/cochin cross in the silkie pen that we allowed to stay, they all allowed us to pick them up.

Mr. Roo, and Ging where allowed to stay, along with a full sized Cochin rooster/EE cross that hatched and was broody raised last year. He won't let you touch him, but he's over a year old now and runs away from people. He doesn't see us as a threat and won't act aggressive to people, he just doesn't like being touched.

I kept my Alpha EE roo, He's been the best rooster ever. He's very good to his girls and while he's not a fan of being touched, he doesn't attack people.

I had to butcher two purebred EE roosters that were white, because they wouldn't stay out of my silkie pen and were hurting my girls in there.

I butchered 2 black silkie roosters. They were fine, but I just had too many silkie roosters. For some reason, I end up with like 80% male silkies when I hatch them :/

I also butchered 1 EE/Leghorn rooster cross, and 2 black/orange EE roosters who were assholes. One of those were the ones who attacked me non stop.

Back
Top Bottom