EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

I'm incubating eggs and I have one that is 36 hours from first pip and it pipped on the wrong end. Do I assist? At 29 hours I chipped away two little pieces and saw a drop of blood and stopped. Wrapped in a paper towel and replaced in incubator. Should I try again or keep waiting? It's day 22. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm incubating eggs and I have one that is 36 hours from first pip and it pipped on the wrong end. Do I assist? At 29 hours I chipped away two little pieces and saw a drop of blood and stopped. Wrapped in a paper towel and replaced in incubator. Should I try again or keep waiting? It's day 22. Thanks.
I'd let it be for a few days yet. I've had a couple to hatch 4 days "late"; no room in the shell for a watch. On the other hand, I don't assist.

The chick hatched with more assistance and is growing stronger in the brooder now. Thanks to those that offered help!

Is the membrane staying moist? Are you hearing anything from the chick? I have had luck using Vitamin E to keep the membrane soft and it let’s you really see if the veins are recedeing. If you can keep it moist and know it is getting oxygen then just wait for it to adsorb that yoke and veins to shrink.

I'm officially done incubating for this year. One of my turkeys went off and hatched 8 babies and brought them home to us, and now I have 16 baby turkeys with 3 adopted mom's in a pen together. :hmm

I've hatched 4 geese from my geese. I'm not sure if they are sebastapols because half the eggs I tried to hatch were infertile. I'm thinking not though, they appear to have black on them which would make me think they are from my African grays

Either way, we have Lemonade, Pinapple, Delta and Charlie the geese. (Delta and Charlie are from jurassic world.)

Let's hope they don't act like the vicious raptors they are named after.

And finally... great pyr has given me 3 boys and a 1 girl puppy. I'm keeping the girl, and naming her spice... so I'll have sugar and spice

I'm officially done incubating for this year. One of my turkeys went off and hatched 8 babies and brought them home to us, and now I have 16 baby turkeys with 3 adopted mom's in a pen together. :hmm

I've hatched 4 geese from my geese. I'm not sure if they are sebastapols because half the eggs I tried to hatch were infertile. I'm thinking not though, they appear to have black on them which would make me think they are from my African grays

Either way, we have Lemonade, Pinapple, Delta and Charlie the geese. (Delta and Charlie are from jurassic world.)

Let's hope they don't act like the vicious raptors they are named after.

And finally... great pyr has given me 3 boys and a 1 girl puppy. I'm keeping the girl, and naming her spice... so I'll have sugar and spice

Wow, sounds like you have plenty of little ones around.

After this week I will be down to just two bottle kids! Well, unless I pull the two boys left of the quad. I sold one :yesss so if I pull the boys my doe will only have the doeling. Maybe she could gain some weight back.
Next year the boys will go early.

My broodies are not doing well. One hatched nine of 13, but the other five are taking up the boxes, going back wrong, and breaking eggs. I may have to buy chicks I don't want to give them each a couple just to get them off the nests. I need them off so I can get some HRIR eggs that I do want to hatch. :/

Back
Top Bottom