EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Growing up in Missouri, hatching quail meant Bobwhite.
I knew of other species, both new world and old world but until joining BYC I didn't know about the huge interest in old world quail in this country. Namely Japanese, common Coturnix and Buttonquail.
Do the bobwhites take longer to grow out than coturnix. I turned down some quail the other day. Too much to do around here as it is.

Dear Butercup few years ago was a BYC member which posted a lot here, I think his name was "local jokel" (or something like that) that was wiping off the colors on the quail egg shell ,getting white egg that was very easy to candle.
I remember him. I dubbed him "LOCO"

Do the bobwhites take longer to grow out than coturnix. I turned down some quail the other day. Too much to do around here as it is.
Bobwhite take quite a bit longer. They take about 2 1/2 months to mature and then another month before starting to lay eggs.
They are definitely two different unrelated animals. Coturnix are in the same family as pheasant but Bobwhite, like other new world like California and Mountain quail are in their own family. The several dozen species in this family are permanent residents throughout their range.
Coturnix can live in a cage but IMO Bobwhite need more room. One advantage of Bobwhite is that they will brood their own eggs/chicks. That's a benefit for homesteaders living off the grid.
I just remember hearing their unmistakable call almost daily when living on the farm.

ETA
Can someone explain what the attraction is to raising buttonquail?

Last edited:
Bobwhite take quite a bit longer. They take about 2 1/2 months to mature and then another month before starting to lay eggs.
They are definitely two different unrelated animals. Coturnix are in the same family as pheasant but Bobwhite, like other new world like California and Mountain quail are in their own family. The several dozen species in this family are permanent residents throughout their range.
Coturnix can live in a cage but IMO Bobwhite need more room. One advantage of Bobwhite is that they will brood their own eggs/chicks. That's a benefit for homesteaders living off the grid.
I just remember hearing their unmistakable call almost daily when living on the farm.

ETA
To use them when you loose a button from your shirt? :idunno

ETA
Any difference in the meat between them

Back
Top Bottom