EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

There isn't any slowing of the mail service that I've noticed. I'm a substitute mail carrier and I've heard of a few things getting delayed but not a general slow down. My eggs got to me a day earlier than promised and the ones I sent to California did as well.
I contacted one place that may have chicks for sale but most that have them won't ship. The Iowa blue are pretty rare it seems.
On three different occasions this summer there was no mail carrier on my road from Tuesday to Monday. My wife quit putting her bills in the box because they would be late. The mail went in the box before dawn Thursday and the flag was still up on Monday.
We never go a day without mail. but those three weeks we had no mail.
Lots of chicks died in the Northeast when they sat waiting in sorting centers.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...chicks-die-in-mail-in-latest-postal-imbroglio

Last edited:
The NPIP tester will be here at 9 AM to blood test my birds. My adult numbers are way down so as far as that goes it should be easy to catch all the adults.
The issue I'm concerned about is that the 3 broody hens have 13 chicks less than a week old that may get trampled when all hell breaks loose.
I may get a ladder out and black out the dormer windows.

Have finished skinner style knife(There isn't really much to skin here) Very sharp, heat treated, made from an old circular saw.
20200925_130553.jpg
20200925_130519.jpg
20200925_130616.jpg

Attachments

• 20200925_130519.jpg
    20200925_130519.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 1
There isn't any slowing of the mail service that I've noticed. I'm a substitute mail carrier and I've heard of a few things getting delayed but not a general slow down. My eggs got to me a day earlier than promised and the ones I sent to California did as well.
I contacted one place that may have chicks for sale but most that have them won't ship. The Iowa blue are pretty rare it seems.
That's awesome news thanks. I’ve seen some pretty scary news about chicks and time sensitive items.

The NPIP tester will be here at 9 AM to blood test my birds. My adult numbers are way down so as far as that goes it should be easy to catch all the adults.
The issue I'm concerned about is that the 3 broody hens have 13 chicks less than a week old that may get trampled when all hell breaks loose.
I may get a ladder out and black out the dormer windows.
:fl

Nice Benny. What’s the best material to use as a wrap for handle. I’d like to wrap the handle on that meat cleaver I found it has very good balance and works well.
In my opinion for a heavy cleaver, you need something with good grip, I think that a strip of thin leather will do. ( I don't tell you search for Shark or stingray leather which are the best.... the Samurai katana had stingray leather wrap..... :lol: )

I'm not too worried. I blacked out the windows already and the hens should be easier to catch now in the dark without trampling too many chicks. I think I'll do them first, get the chicks out and then I'll only have to catch a rooster and 4 hens.
That's the fewest I've ever had tested. Only birds over 4 months of age need to be tested. In the past I've had as many as 6 buildings of birds tested. After that fiasco, I get my numbers down before September every year. All the rest of my birds are 3 months or less. There are maybe 50 chicks here. Another just hatched this morning. I hope that is the last one. I'm ready to move on with the next phase and clean out everything, incubators, hatcher, room, etc..

Last edited:
In my opinion for a heavy cleaver, you need something with good grip, I think that a strip of thin leather will do. ( I don't tell you search for Shark or stingray leather which are the best.... the Samurai katana had stingray leather wrap..... :lol: )
Are you talking about leather for the handle for as a strop for sharpening?

Back
Top Bottom