1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE a Roo or Hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NCchicken, Sep 23, 2010.

1. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Well I posted on here this morning about my BR and the verdict came back that it's a roo, which I can not have so he has to go:( But in one of the pictures I posted someone mentioned that they also thought that my EE is also a roo. Could it be? The EE has jumped on my poor silkies back numerous times in the past few weeks. It was the ignorant new chicken egg in me that thought they were just "working out the pecking order." So, what do you think, roo or hen? I'm still waiting for her to lay some eggs. I bought her from a woman who said she would be laying any time now and that was almost 5 weeks ago! My EE does not have any spurs, is this normal for a roo to not have any spurs? Sorry, i'm new to chickens. Thanks in advance for all of your opinions and thoughts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    yep rooster

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Definite cockerel.

That color is a common EE cockerel color, and EE pullets cannot carry it. [​IMG]

4. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    ROO! - sorry.

5. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Take that one back, too, and demand your money back. Then find a nice BYCer to get some POL hens from.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I always think EE roosters are the most handsom of all breeds. They look like somebody took a bunch of paint colors and threw them in a blender for a few seconds [​IMG] good looking boy!

7. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    To bad your not close to me I ahve lots of hens for sale [​IMG]

8. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Really? I am speechless and in shock. Duped by two people who sold me "pullets." I feel so violated but mostly embarrased and sad because now I have to get rid of two of my chickens, half my happy chicken house. Please tell me that not all people out there are liars when they sell pullets? [​IMG]

9. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    No, not all are liars. Some breeds, including EEs, are difficult to tell for quite awhile!

10. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    No, not all of them, but it is definately better to do research on here and find breeders/ other BYCers that have a lot of experience, as well as a reputation to protect. I got two EE's I had to get rid of, too, and the lady that sold them just didn't know for sure yet. Sometimes it's a risk we take, but with yours - especially the BR - I think you were intentionally duped. Here are my EE 'boys', I so loved their colors, but didn't know at the time that meant they were likely roos. A lesson learned, just like you. Yours reminds me of the lighter one:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by