EE, Araucana or Americana?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cambriagardener, Apr 29, 2009.

1. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Can anyone tell me the difference between EE, Araucana, or Americana? I bought six chicks from our "Farm Supply" last month (ordered from a hatchery). One of mine was said to be an Americana. I was assured that Americana and Araucana were the same and that she would lay colored eggs. I'm not going to show or anything, just want to know what she is? [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    My Coop
    Theres hundreds of threads here about EE, araucanas and AMERAUCANAS. If you do a search you'll find more information that you probably want to know. The short of it is, if you purchased from a feed store or a hatchery, you probably have EEs, which are chickens that should lay green or blue/green eggs. They are not a pure bred chicken, but a cross strictly for colored eggs.
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No farm store who gets birds from a hatchery will have Ameraucanas or Araucanas, which are two very different breeds. They are Easter Eggers, a mixed breed, which can really lay any color, including brown.
  4. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    BYC probably should have a dedicated forum just for this subject! [​IMG]
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:You're not kidding!
  6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by