EE barred rock cross chick

FolkSonginC

Songster
May 2, 2019
Peaks Island, ME
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I have a chick that's a cross between my EE rooster and my barred rock, I'm wondering if it's sexlinked or what it will look like when it feathers. The chick is mostly gray but appears to have barring, so will it be completely barred as an adult or a mix? Here are photos of parents and chick:
20191209_075556.jpg
20191205_113300.jpg
20191205_113251.jpg

Well, his father's tailfeathers look black, so I don't think your chick carries the splash gene. I suspect you're seeing the father's e-locus or "pattern" gene in effect. His mother has the all-black pattern, and his father has a more traditional duckwing pattern (I think). So even though the all-black pattern gene is dominant, the duckwing pattern is showing through a bit, especially in the chick fluff.

I'd say Dad carries silver (neck colour) and mahogany (red shoulders), too.

I suspect (I do not know; crossbreeds are weird) the chick is going to look a bit like this boy when he grows up, but with red shoulders. (Not my image, not my chicken).
cb2e3f6c11a3ff74651e47dc593d5ef2.jpg

Always amazed at how much some of you experienced chicken keepers are in predicting genetic details in so young a chick!
Thanks. I'm amateur, though.

He's got a headspot and I have pictures of his parents, so this one is actually pretty simple. If you want experienced chicken breeding for colours, go to nicalandia. And The Moonshiner, too.

I just like playing with mutts.

Well, his father's tailfeathers look black, so I don't think your chick carries the splash gene. I suspect you're seeing the father's e-locus or "pattern" gene in effect. His mother has the all-black pattern, and his father has a more traditional duckwing pattern (I think). So even though the all-black pattern gene is dominant, the duckwing pattern is showing through a bit, especially in the chick fluff.

I'd say Dad carries silver (neck colour) and mahogany (red shoulders), too.

I suspect (I do not know; crossbreeds are weird) the chick is going to look a bit like this boy when he grows up, but with red shoulders. (Not my image, not my chicken).
cb2e3f6c11a3ff74651e47dc593d5ef2.jpg
I'll make sure to update when he grows up, I'm very curious! Also, I only have five hens, so as far as I've read I won't be able to keep both roosters together with the hens. But is it possible that I could keep both roosters together separate from the hens? I read that they don't fight much if there aren't females involved

Thanks. I'm amateur, though.

He's got a headspot and I have pictures of his parents, so this one is actually pretty simple. If you want experienced chicken breeding for colours, go to nicalandia. And The Moonshiner, too.

I just like playing with mutts.

I've seen some of their posts , discussing dominant and recessive genes - flying way over my head!

You may be an amateur - but for us rookies, your experience is so helpful and genuinely appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom