EE color to determine gender masters, I have a question (pic added)

debid

Free Ranging
13 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
My cream-colored EE started getting some peachy tones in her back feathers (chest is cream like the wings). I wasn't worried until I noticed spots of dark red coming in on her back. So dark, I mistook it for blood at first.

Is this a bad sign for my girl?

And, FWIW, all of you have made me supremely paranoid about my sexed pullets being boys in disguise so you have only yourselves to blame if I ask about every.single.chick at some point or another.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Nobody? I thought that it was supposed to be easy to tell with EEs.

Last edited:
Post a picture it will be easier to tell from a picture here is a picture of my bantam EE hen she has black, tan and red on her back
42605_049.jpg

I have had some light colored EEs start leaking a rust color in their wing feathers as they have aged. It's just feather genetics. No harm to them.
smile.png

To sex EE chicks look at the comb. Most times the boys will have three ridges across while the girls have no ridges or only one ridge. Those male combs will pop up pretty early while the females take longer.

Good luck!

Quote:
That she's not a she, of course!

She's not cooperating for photos but if red splotches on the shoulders and upper back doesn't mean anything, then it really won't help to take pictures of it.

Oooohhh... I get it now. Does the rust leaking through indicate roo? Hmmm... can't say for sure, but now that I think about it every single light chick I have had that started leaking red turned out to be a roo.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom