EE colouring / plumage - chicks vs/ adults --- Post your PICS!

Pics
Dewy: She's the white chick. The person at the feed store we got her at didn't believe she was an EE because she wasn't squirrely. So they labeled her as the other kind of chicken they had in: a black sex-link.
idunno.gif
We knew what she was though.
thats funny, not all pure breds come out squirrely/chipmunk either, check out the little black one, its exactly like her mum, but as yet, 6 weeks, shes still jet black where her mum has lighter rachis. and notice our BO(f) araucana(m) X its white too

What I think is funny about the whole thing is the person who labeled her didn't seem to realize that black sex-links are black. It's even in their name. The sex-links were cheaper, so it's their loss.

Also your chicks are adorable.

And here is Lizzy at two months. Yea!!! She's a she! No wattles, comb just a bit pink. Both she and her hatchmate BLRW have been free-ranging with the big girls since they were four weeks and two days old. Broody mama returned to the "flock" (two other hens) when they were five weeks old. So the two littles have their own coop. (They were the only ones to successfully hatch.) [/URL]
Now 16 weeks old - molting a bit

Last edited:
Now 16 weeks old - molting a bit
nice, ours are just over 6 weeks, mum has disowned then as she kicked them all off the main perch tonight, which today was their 2nd day, they have been ranging with the flock since they were 8 days old. mum 1st took them out on day 7 and one was only 6 days old. and since day 9 they have spent all day outside, they left the nursery under the nest boxes at 4 weeks when they moved into the nests above, i have spent the last 2 weeks cleaning poop out of nests coz the hens climb up and stand looking at them in disgust and refuse to lay in a soiled box, the last 3 days theyve been using all 3 nests so after seeing them on the back perch today im a happy chappy, mum also started laying again 2 days ago.

What I think is funny about the whole thing is the person who labeled her didn't seem to realize that black sex-links are black. It's even in their name. The sex-links were cheaper, so it's their loss.

Also your chicks are adorable.
ive started finding little feathers around the garden from the chicks, usually where they roll in the dirt, so im assuming theyre starting to drop their 1st feathers, so im expecting them to change to the colours they will end up in the next couple of weeks

12.5 weeks

lost its mum the weekend, found the dog playing with it, weighed in at 4.5 lbs now living in the freezer

I ordered two Easter Egger pullets from McMurray and somehow ended up with three EE chicks (I did not get the Barred Rock I ordered, so I think one of the EEs was a replacement). They are all feathering in very differently, so maybe I'll be able to tell them apart as adults.
fl.gif

I'm calling this one Hootie because her facial markings make her look like an owl. Photos at 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, and 3 weeks. I think she's going to be the fairly common golden/sort-of partridge color.

This is Miss Piggy. She started out solid black but is getting some golden barring in her feathers. I hope she'll stay mostly black, or at least darker than Hootie. Again, photos at 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks.

This one doesn't have a name yet. I'm a little concerned that it might be a cockerel. He/she is the boldest of all 10 of my chicks, has much larger legs, stands much more upright, and seems to be developing a comb more quickly. He/she also has significantly less tail feather development than my other chicks. The coloring on this one is really cool. I'm assuming, unfortunately, that that is also a sign that I'm looking at an eventual rooster. Since there are also two suspected Welsummer cockerels and a suspected RIR cockerel in the bunch, and I can only keep one of them, that's kind of a bummer. Again, photos at 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, and 3 weeks.

our white ee is still white at 3.5 month old, it still looks the same but bigger, will post pic soon

our white ee is still white at 3.5 month old, it still looks the same but bigger, will post pic soon

ee is a completely different color from EE. Using caps matters when discussing genetic formulas, smile.
Thanks for sharing,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom