EE colouring / plumage - chicks vs/ adults --- Post your PICS!

Pics
Hi everyone!! I have a bit of an interesting situation with some EEs I just hatched out. The father is my wheaten Ameraucana and the mother is a SLW. I think I may have hatched out some sex linked chicks! I would love a second opinion on this, as I'm not 100% sure about them yet, but it stands to reason that a gold based roo over silver based hens would produce silver based roos and gold based hens, correct? I took some pics to show you what I'm dealing with:
This is one of the suspected females. Note the well defined chipmunk markings and eyeliner, as well as the brown in "her" down:

And here is one of the suspected males. Not really any eyeliner, blurry chipmunk pattern, and no brown in "his" down:

So what do you all think? Did I accidentally create sex linked chicks? They certainly look that way to me, but I'm definitely not an expert, so I'd love to know what you think of them. It would be great to know what I've got as soon as they hatch, though!!

Hi everyone!! I have a bit of an interesting situation with some EEs I just hatched out. The father is my wheaten Ameraucana and the mother is a SLW. I think I may have hatched out some sex linked chicks! I would love a second opinion on this, as I'm not 100% sure about them yet, but it stands to reason that a gold based roo over silver based hens would produce silver based roos and gold based hens, correct? I took some pics to show you what I'm dealing with:
This is one of the suspected females. Note the well defined chipmunk markings and eyeliner, as well as the brown in "her" down:

And here is one of the suspected males. Not really any eyeliner, blurry chipmunk pattern, and no brown in "his" down:

So what do you all think? Did I accidentally create sex linked chicks? They certainly look that way to me, but I'm definitely not an expert, so I'd love to know what you think of them. It would be great to know what I've got as soon as they hatch, though!!
I think you have it right . I have been hatching a similar cross . Gold based hens covered by silver Ameraucana rooster .

I'm watching the baby feathers emerge... The dark chipmunk is entirely charcoal with a little patterning (neck and head just starting to emerge but they're dark, too):
and the yellow chipmunk is off-white with just a bit of light gray and light brown stippling:

Anyone's EE look similar to this as a chick? I have three that look similar, except the other two have black/grey tones in their wings instead of brown.

Sooo..I've been popping around this thread looking for any chick-to-adult pics that might give a clue to what I have but I see none. I picked up 3 EE pullets. I was told they're around 8 weeks but the one 'pullet' looked like a roo to me...as did another and so after confirming on BYC, I exchanged one and got a replacement for the other. The one roo I'm keeping. By the time I went back, the breeder didn't have many pullets left...I struggled to find any. In the end, I ended up with 3 all black pullets. Not what I was going for but such is life. One could possibly be F1 as she was out of a blue egg but the other 2 were out of a green egg so I'm suspecting F2 or even F3 with no clue as to the breeds in the background. They look so different. But black they are! I suspect the one might be 8 weeks but the other 2, though fully feathered, are really small and so I'm leaning towards 6 weeks...maybe 7 with those. The largest is solid black with the tiniest bit of copper edging on a very few throat feathers. One of the smaller ones is black with silvery tipping on throat feathers and the other solid black is more of a smoke black with a little bit of tan behind one eye. All their down is grey. I was really hoping for some rust with black birds...or even black with rust but so far, when comparing to others EE chicks, I fear they'll stay black. I'll love them just the same but we have limited space and once filled, that's it. I'm a little sad that when I went back, none out of a blue egg were left as I suspect F1s probably have 'vigor' whereas F2s and F3s, etc., might have cool eggs but how often do they lay? It's a crapshoot from what I can tell. So I might have ended up with all black birds of which 2 might not lay much LOL Anyone have any experience with black birds changing color..and F2s or F3s being decent layers?

Back
Top Bottom