EE colouring / plumage - chicks vs/ adults --- Post your PICS!

Pics
For most of my chicks, I'm kind of being able to tell if they are boys or girls even though they are only a month old; combs coming in, thicker legs, etc. But I have a few that I'm wondering about... The coloring and their tails are what's throwing me. I don't have any pictures that I can upload, so I hope descriptions of them will be enough.
hmm.png

#1. I have an almost solid blonde chick that has a slightly orange comb and thick legs. S/he has a fairly long, straight out tail which is different from my definite roos. S/he looks to be a male from some aspects but I thought that fairly solid coloring meant girls? S/he was a very blonde headed chipmunk as a day old.

#2. Another blonde has quite a bit of black spots(?) and a very droopy tail, so I'm assuming that he's a boy. He's also one that when I tried wing sexing as chicks, only had the single row, so boy...? He has a fairly yellow comb still, but is a darker yellow. He was a very dark brown chipmunk as a day old.

#3. Two of my chicks have blue/grey. One is almost solid blue/grey with just a hint of tan on her wing tips, her head and around her neck. Her tail is fan shaped from the side. Pretty sure she's a girl, but I haven't seen a picture of anyone else's EE looking so blue/grey as a young chick. She was a very pale brown chipmunk as a day old.

#4. The second of my blue/grey's has a lot more tan mixed in and an almost solid tan head. She's very pretty and has a very long straight tail. I'm pretty sure she's a girl, too, but I haven't seen anything that looks like her, either. She was a very pale brown chipmunk as a day old, too.

#5. The last is the one that really stumps me. S/he has a very lacy looking black body but is solid blonde around their neck and on their chest. S/he is still very pale yellow in the comb and has a very long straight tail (just like the other "girls"), but very thick legs. S/he's also one of my biggest chicks, always has been. S/he's very sweet and loves to be held and petted, but I thought that kind of coloring was a boy...? S/he was a penguin as a day old; very black body and yellow face.

They are only a month old and this is only their first set of feathers, so it may change, right? I don't know if it matters, but they are bantams and hatchery chicks (Ideal through Purely Poultry). Any help figuring these few out would be wonderful.
big_smile.png

Yeah, sorry about no pics. I know it would help, but the only pics I have are on my phone and I don't have a way to get them online.
sad.png

I definitely know that #1 is a boy now. I have four chicks that have a definite "boy" comb now and he's one of them. I'm pretty sure #2 is a boy, but still not 100%. #3 and 4 are probably girls, but I still can't figure out #5. S/he has a very blonde head, shoulders and chest now, but the rest of it is the black still. I'll find out eventually, I guess...
roll.png

The one boy (#2) has only one row and it's smooth, not really peas at all, but it's solid orange now where the "females" are still very yellow and pale.

#5 only just barely has a comb at all and it's still yellow. His/her comb looks very much like the other girls but I can't shake the feeling it's a boy.
hu.gif

HappyPlace, borrow a camera! Seriously, trying to sex young chickens based on written descriptions is not going to work unless you include something very obvious like, "dark red patches on the upper wings". You could also go to the breed/gender board and find the sexing EEs by color thread. You'll probably see some that look a lot like yours there. At the very least, you'll have a better idea of what to look for after reading it.

Quote:
You can email the pics to yourself, from your phone, and then open the email on your computer, where you'll download the attached pics. Hope this helps!
smile.png

HappyPlace, borrow a camera! Seriously, trying to sex young chickens based on written descriptions is not going to work unless you include something very obvious like, "dark red patches on the upper wings". You could also go to the breed/gender board and find the sexing EEs by color thread. You'll probably see some that look a lot like yours there. At the very least, you'll have a better idea of what to look for after reading it.

You can email the pics to yourself, from your phone, and then open the email on your computer, where you'll download the attached pics. Hope this helps!

I know...
hmm.png
I have plenty of pics on my phone and have thought of emailing myself them, but it's a prepaid and I'm not sure if I can even do that...?? I've been trying to get on my provider's website to figure it out (and find out what it's gonna cost me), but I'm not finding the info I need...
hu.gif

I've been reading through this thread, too: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=463817&p=1 (Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*) But with dial-up, 52 pages of pics is slow going...
sad.png

I guess if I can't get pics, I'll just fake it 'til I make it. I only have about 8 out of 19 chicks that I can tell either way right now. I'm just biding my time with the rest (they all look the same with only the tiniest variations), so I guess this last one (one of my favorites) can just wait, too...
hmm.png

I finally managed to upload pics from my phone.
wee.gif
Now, hopefully, I can actually post them...
hmm.png

I'm pretty sure I know what everyone else is (boy or girl-wise), but this one little chick still has me puzzled.

S/he is 2 months old now:

10181140.jpg

(Mostly boys in background)
10181117.jpg

(Another boy in background)
1018115.jpg

(One of the girls in background)
10181123.jpg

(All by his/herself)

Does anyone have an idea if my little chick is a boy or girl?

Should add: The pics were taken just today and it was a little cloudy. There is some blush/darker tan coloring on her/his wings and also just under her/his chin and on it's chest. I don't think it really shows in the pics...
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom