EE colouring / plumage - chicks vs/ adults --- Post your PICS!

Pics
I love your pic of the colored eggs. What should I get to replicate? Have room for around 12, so I should order 24 on the assumption that I'll get 1/2 boys, which I will eat.
Tx much,
N. VA

Here are my (hopefully) EE girls, "Lucy" and "Ethel." Lucy is a bit darker in color. They were both said to be 1 week old when I got them from the local feed store. However, "Lucy" seems much bigger than Ethel. Hmmm....

Lucy and Ethel Week 1

Week 2

Week 3-4 - The bigger bird, "Lucy"

The smaller bird..."Ethel's" comb...

Lucy's feathering at week 3/4

Size difference between the two birds at 3 weeks

Lucy's feathering at week 3/4

Last edited:
Darling chicks! That really does seem a big size difference. They look at about the same stage in feathering, so close in age. I had a Welsummer chick with an umbilical hernia, and she was very slow to grow at first. Had a lot of catching up to do. Maybe Ethel had a bumpy start after hatching, or maybe she's just petite.

Darling chicks! That really does seem a big size difference. They look at about the same stage in feathering, so close in age. I had a Welsummer chick with an umbilical hernia, and she was very slow to grow at first. Had a lot of catching up to do. Maybe Ethel had a bumpy start after hatching, or maybe she's just petite.
Thank you! I was thinking the same...maybe she's just going to be a small chicken. Yesterday when I got home in the evening, I took them outside to play and noticed that Lucy is getting new feathers! It's so amazing how they seem to come in overnight. There are new white, light brown, and medium brownish feathers on her chest and shoulder areas. It's so neat to watch these little ones grow daily.

I love this thread is so neat to see how different they look from chicks to adults. I love EE's.

Here's one of my favorite EE Girls, Hadlee as a few days old.
50970_hadlee_chick.jpg

and six weeks old
DSC_0394.jpg
A light chipmunk that turned into a hen?! Oh my. I guess the "light chipmunks always turn into roosters" rule doesn't always apply.

A light chipmunk that turned into a hen?! Oh my. I guess the "light chipmunks always turn into roosters" rule doesn't always apply.

I've heard about that too, but I think the one pictured has lots of orangey-brown. The "rule" applies to chicks that are all yellow/light chipmunk with well defined dark markings around and beyond the eye. But I wonder if it's really that simple.....

My pullet was yellowy/white and ended up looking like all the other darker "chipmunk" colored ones.
Here she is at about a week. She had already gotten darker from when I got her at a few days old. I had hoped by getting a whitish/yellow chick, I might get one of those EE that had white and peach on it....but she ended up looking very common. It's weird how you can get chicks that look different and they end up looking like so many others!

Here she is now. She is very typical of EE pullets.

I can't remember what thread I saw the decussion about leg color was, but here goes.....on EE legs, you have slate, greenish and willow. What exactly is willow? I would like to check my EE's to see if they have willow legs.

Back
Top Bottom