EE crossbred questions--pics of cockerel p. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
If you don't care, then why bring up your side in reference to what I say? I find it rude that you attack so eagerly and quickly, honestly. Like you, I was also just putting out opinions. I certainly wasn't attacking you or insulting you, at least that I found. If my tone seems out of line, the least you could do is ask me in private or be maturely polite about it.

Remember, I am not trying to perpetuate a rare breed or anything. I just want replacement layers. If I had a barred rock rooster, he would be crossed over them. DH wants to keep the cochins separate otherwise I would use my cochin roo over hybrids.

This is for my OWN use and if the hens are not laying green eggs, I will not sell them as EEs, just as backyard mixes.

Again, the cockerel is a nice boy with interesting color patterns and the hens have proved themselves cold hardy and friendly. Rather than buy chicks from TSC or a hatchery, I'd like to hatch some of my own. I'm asking what sort of traits I can expect. My EE is in no way a pure strain of ANYTHING and my hens are hybrids. The excess cochins we'll sell for money, but the mixed pullets will be kept as production birds--nothing more or culled for dog food and coyote bait.

Quote:
It is common to know which producton breds they were crossed to but I wont say, but more importantly, they have also been bred within each other for Quechua type all along, and also the Quechua itself is a compostie which includes production breeds in itself anyhow. brown egg layers should not have eer been added-that was big mistake and mess. Why do you again talk of the blue gene as tho it is "now"? It was spread a long time ago through the world. And why would any EE "have Ameraucana behind it"? That is backwerds, the Ameraucana has EE behind it.

I feel as though I need to give up on this subject because the same peple keep making the same falsies.

Quote:
I said EE's don't have Ameraucana behind them, in fact I said Ameraucanas are based on the Qeuchua (EE's) So I don't see why you thought I said otherwise. . . ?

Also, I'd like to see some evidence that blue truly is an old gene in Easter Eggers. . .I'm not doubting you, I just want to see why I'm wrong.

They might or might not lay green eggs.

If he is heterozygous for the blue egg gene, his offspring will be 50/50. Half will lay colored eggs, half will lay brown/pink/cream.

If he is homozygous, all will lay colored eggs, since the blue gene is dominant over white.

It's possible he's homozygous. But I personally think it would be on the safe side to assume he is heterozygous, since he is EE. Unless, you know his lineage and can trace his lines to see if he is homozygous.

I'm sorry Illsia i didn't understand you. The blue gene, the Spaniards and then everybody else too were all over the place with their chickens, remember what they did to the Incas and also pushed the Quechua people aside? All the food and egg chickens from them, then the roostyfighting culture spread even more types over a long period of time.

Quote:
He came from Townline Hatchery so I doubt they are keeping the meticulous breeding records of breeders.

"Hey, Townline, I got an EE chick out of the bin at the TSC in West Branch, MI. Anyhoo, it was a silver-chipmunk color and this was mid-April. So ... you happen to know the chick's parents and if they're homozygous for the blue gene for eggs? Just wonderin'."

I honestly think they know just as well as you do.
wink.png
They have SO many breeds and SO many birds of each breed. . . .

Townline is smaller than others like Ideal, Cackle and McMurray

Now, as far as his "muff" goes, will that be passed on or not? He also doesn't have any wattles. Dominant trait or not? It's kinda nice in our cold winters not to have it as our cochin roo got a bit of frostbite last winter when his wattles got wet when he took a drink.

Muffs/beard is dominant, yes. If Townline carries cleanfaced EE's too, though, then he may only have one allele - but regardless, he should at LEAST pass on a 50% chance of offspring with muffs and beard.
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom