EE has stopped laying already?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LCEchickens, Sep 12, 2012.

1. LCEchickens

LCEchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    My 8month EE pullet has been laying approximately 4-5 eggs a week since early June. I haven't gotten a single egg from her since the end of August!! I know they slow down as the days get shorter....but stopping, totally, in September?? The other 3 in my flock (2 BRs age 18 mos and 1 WR approx 3-4 years old) are still going strong and did all last winter even without lights. Everyone is healthy....checked them all head to toe. My EE seems fine otherwise....eating, drinking, pooping, all normal. I am positive she doesn't have a stash of eggs anywhere. They only free range in our suburban backyard a few hours a day and I have checked everywhere!

Any thoughts? I'm not really worried about her, she seems fine....but I miss my little blue-green egg!![​IMG]

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Is she moulting?

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Does she look like she's missing any feathers? Look for tail feathers missing. She could be going through a mild molt.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Depending on what is in their genetic mix EEs can take weeks off. Mine Has taken about two months off during her first year laying.

5. LCEchickens

LCEchickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    She doesn't appear to missing any feathers so I haven't suspected molting. She looks and acts perfectly normal. Maybe she is just taking some time off....hopefully she starts up again soon or I might have to buy eggs this winter!! I don't expect to get many from my older White Rock and this will be my BRs second winter so I figured their production would drop some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by