EE Or Ameracauna

You are right gander007. My EE's are beautiful. I am crossing a EE Rooster (Who I just took his spurs off as they were even nicking him!) with my Black Copper Marans, One Faverolle, Two Buffs and a RR. I get wonderful colors. I separate the species in my Humidaire incubator which is a fantastic hatcher. It's fun to know what hen hatched which chicken!!!!!!! The hard part, selling them for so little, but they pay the feed bill. Anyone on your site a genetics person? I wanted to find out what color eggs they might have. Karla

Well Karla, it sounds like you are making your own EE's ......

And to answer you're question on a genetics person being on this sight
I would have to say yes there is a few who have said they are in to that
type of stuff but the real trick is finding them when they have time as
their writing's are very long and drawn out but quit the explanations from
what I have seen .....

Are you marking your egg's before you put them in the incubator as to
what hen they came from so you know how to identify them when it
comes time for them to hatch ?????

gander007
old.gif

Hi again! I have a hatcher with several slide boxes with dividers. They are attached to an automatic turner, I set the eggs int the separated boxes according to my hens. The Maran eggs are so easy since they are very dark brown. I have room for six separated bins in each box so I can keep track of how is who. If I really want to keep some back or see what pairs I can make I band them in color bands. When it is time to hatch them out I put the soft pliable vented shelf mats down so the eggs don't roll too much when the chicks are born. Those little tikes seem to roll the eggs that haven't hatched like soccer balls. Enough of that. I band them and put them on the bottom of the hatcher for three days or less before putting them in my brooder, which by the way I have to find a better design.

Now that sounds like a really nice setup you have and the
banding is just about the best thing I could thank of doing
if you are hatching multiple of breeds of chicks .....

I would have to say you have a great game plan on hatching
and identifying you chicks bug (A)+ to you
smile.png

gander007
old.gif

You are right gander007. My EE's are beautiful. I am crossing a EE Rooster (Who I just took his spurs off as they were even nicking him!) with my Black Copper Marans, One Faverolle, Two Buffs and a RR. I get wonderful colors. I separate the species in my Humidaire incubator which is a fantastic hatcher. It's fun to know what hen hatched which chicken!!!!!!! The hard part, selling them for so little, but they pay the feed bill. Anyone on your site a genetics person? I wanted to find out what color eggs they might have. Karla

Based on the fact that you are crossing an EE rooster, that makes the genetics tricky. You don't know his genotype since he can't lay eggs. I'm assuming that he has a pea comb, which makes it about 93% sure that he carries at least one copy of the blue egg gene, but other than that there's no way to know what egg colors his offspring will produce without actually letting them grow up and lay some eggs. Once you had one generation grow up and you could see their egg colors, then you would be able to make educated guesses about his genotype and predict future generations.

This is the reason that I only use an Ameraucana rooster when I breed EEs. I know his genotype--he's homozygous for the blue egg gene, because that's a trait of the Ameraucana breed.

That being said, if I make a guess that your rooster has one copy of the blue egg gene as well as genes for white eggs and brown shell coatings (this is the most common thing in EEs) then you would get some brown egg layers, some green egg layers, and some olive egg layers from your matings.

Last edited:
when is the age that you cant add any more members to a flock

What animal digs big hole then takes a chicken and all you find is feathers

Back
Top Bottom