1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE or Americana? How do you know which is which?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mkwags, Feb 10, 2011.

1. mkwags

mkwags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Davis County, Utah
    I just got 2 hens that I was told were Aracaunas. After reading on this site under chicken breeds, I have figured out they are not Aracaunas as my chickens have tail feathers and I understand that those types of chickens are tail-less.

But, when I read the descriptions on EE and Americaunas they seem the same, so how do you know the difference?

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Araucanas can have tails.

It is not desired, but they do pop up.

Throw a picture up and it will get you immediate feedback.

3. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    I'm no expert but I believe the definition of an Araucana is that it is rumpless as in these lovely pictures:
    http://www.skyblueegg.com/

Unless you bought the hens from a breeder, it is highly unlikely that they are Araucanas.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If they came from a hatchery, they are EE's regardless if they were sold as Ameraucana or Araucana. In order to get pure Ameraucana's or Araucana's you have to get them from a breeder.

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Uh oh. This is a loaded topic.

My advice is, don't obsess over what exact breed your birds are. Just enjoy them.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Araucana (no tail, no beard, green legs, very rare)

[​IMG]

Ameraucana (comes in a RECOGNIZED color, slate legs, beard)

[​IMG]

Easter Egger (comes in any color, usually an unrecognized brown/black or white/black, can have any color legs, can have beard or no beard)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If they came from a feedstore, local lady, or hatchery - They're Easter Eggers.

8. mkwags

mkwags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Davis County, Utah
    Thanks guys, especially for loading up pictures for examples. I really don't care what I have, I just like to be accurate when people come to my coop to be able to "talk chicken" and know what I have. I know the lady I bought them from ordered them from Mcmurray last spring, so I'll take your opinions as gospel and figure I have EE's. Thanks again.

I LOVE this site and my husband think I'm crazy as I talk about all I learn and read and laugh about on this site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by