EE or Brahma roo

Do you prefer an EE or Brahma roo? or something else?

• EE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brahma

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
No, you want them to be dog aggressive! They're supposed to protect the flock. So having some aggression towards potential predators (like your dog) is a good thing.
I disagree. I have 3 dogs and if a rooster consistently goes after them, he is going into the pot. I don't need a blind dog that got flogged just for walking past. Besides, a dog will win in a rooster fight most of the time and it will end very badly for the rooster. And because people often blame the dog, might end badly for them to.
hmm.png

Rooster may try to protect your flock. That doesn't make them good at it. Essentially you are getting a rooster who will be the sacrifice instead of the hen during a predator attack. And on roost at night my boy ducks away while my Marans girls will fight it out when I try to get them.
hu.gif

I know every bird is different though.

ETA: I have roosters for mating and hatching. Not to protect my flock which I feel a good top hen does plenty well enough alerting.

Last edited:
I disagree. I have 3 dogs and if a rooster consistently goes after them, he is going into the pot. I don't need a blind dog that got flogged just for walking past. Besides, a dog will win in a rooster fight most of the time and it will end very badly for the rooster. And because people often blame the dog, might end badly for them to. :/

Rooster may try to protect your flock. That doesn't make them good at it. Essentially you are getting a rooster who will be the sacrifice instead of the hen during a predator attack. And on roost at night my boy ducks away while my Marans girls will fight it out when I try to get them. :confused:

ETA: I have roosters for mating and hatching. Not to protect my flock which I feel a good top hen does plenty well enough alerting.

That's true, but I disagree. :p If a dog is taught from the beginning that the rooster will go after him if he does something wrong, that's very good. Dogs need to have a healthy respect for chickens, and they might not want to start that fight in the first place.

Of course, I do have problems with dogs getting my chickens, so I appreciate them when they stand up for the flock. Once my brothers saw a stray come in our field at the chickens. Three of the roos lined up and sent him packing.

You do make some good points. :)

Yeah but see that's different.

I think maybe there's just some misunderstanding or miscommunication here or something and we probably really do agree :p

A rooster going after a dog for doing something wrong or sending that stray away is different.

And the key word is wrong. Dog doing something wrong.

What we're talking about, or at least me, is a rooster flogging a dog for not doing anything wrong. Like just walking past or catching a ball or sitting there or whatever.

If he actually goes after the chickens then of course defend the flock and I think I might have mentioned that before or thought I did.

But I don't want one that just decided when the flock needs proteecting and it's not a good reason, like the dog sitting there.

Also my dog gets sassy/mad when corrected or fought against sometimes, like for instance when the cat whacks him he just gets sassy/mad and thinks it's a grand game. Soooo..... it might end badly for a rooster that tried it

I disagree. I have 3 dogs and if a rooster consistently goes after them, he is going into the pot. I don't need a blind dog that got flogged just for walking past. Besides, a dog will win in a rooster fight most of the time and it will end very badly for the rooster. And because people often blame the dog, might end badly for them to. :/

Rooster may try to protect your flock. That doesn't make them good at it. Essentially you are getting a rooster who will be the sacrifice instead of the hen during a predator attack. And on roost at night my boy ducks away while my Marans girls will fight it out when I try to get them. :confused:

Exactly.

All I meant was attacking a dog who is doing nothing wrong.

Attacking a dog who is doing something wrong, my dog or otherwise, or a coyote or whatever, is perfectly fine and encouraged and I think a rooster is perfectly capable of learning that.

Like teaching a dog what to bark at, etc.

I'd like my roos to go after dogs that aren't doing anything. It's kind of like keeping a cockerel nice, even when they aren't doing anything bad, you still show them who is boss. It makes everything easier.

Last edited:
Also I will say that I'm not sure the domination stuff is the best or only way to go but I will look into it. Maybe the holding them thing would work and that i could try but idk, never letting them eat or crow or do anything near you seems kind of silly to me and I'm pretty sure the rooster knows you're not a chicken...

I guess I'll just see which method works.

I do have these two saved

Check myth 2 in this one

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-rooster-myths-clearing-up-rooster-misinformation

And this whole article/story i thought was great

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1101665/the-complete-life-cycle-of-a-mostly-happy-rooster

I'd like my roos to go after dogs that aren't doing anything. It's kind of like keeping a cockerel nice, even when they aren't doing anything bad, you still show them who is boss. It makes everything easier.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion then.

Personally I don't want a rooster to constantly harass my dog. That's not fair. He was here first and likes being outside.

And dogs are smart, they are perfectly capable of learning the rules and then following them without being harassed by a relentless roo. And if the rules do need to be enforced, I can easily enforce them myself too.

And, roosters aren't dumb. If your dog leaves them alone, he'll return the favor. They don't attack relentlessly.

Eta sorry for incomplete sentences, bad grammar, etc. I'm not on the computer, so this is harder than normal to type. :p

Last edited:
Yes, but what the rooster perceives as wrong may not be. That's why so many humans get attacked.

But my dogs are well trained. I can't train the rooster not to go after them when they are running and playing. It's not fair to the dogs. So I now make sure the roos are locked on the other side of the fence when we are playing in order to avoid the issue. Because despite the fact that my dogs have been doing this exact same behavior since the chicks were brought home and never a problem until the roo reaches a certain hormonal change and also the roos know the dogs don't go after them they don't have any respect for the dogs or see them as a true threat. But more as a challenge they can defeat.

My dogs are the ones that protect from strays.

My solution instead of not having roos which I enjoy and dogs.. is separation during high activity times. During low activity times all are allowed to mingle. But you have to watch for the chicken giving the dog the stink eye! When they get the stink eye, they have a challenge in mind.

And I'm not worried about y'all thinking this is an argument... we all know it's just a discussion of our different experiences and ideas.
highfive.gif

Just as we are all individuals, the birds will be to. So ya just never know till you try!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom