EE or Olive Egger bantam?

DuckiesGarden

Songster
7 Years
Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I've been puzzling over this bantam chick for a week now and finally decided it must be an EE. Then I saw some olive egger chicks while I was looking at EE colors and a few of those looked just like this little chick. So now I'm curious as to if there is a way to differentiate between the two, or are olive eggers basically EEs that lay a darker colored green? Do olive eggers even come in bantam size? I was hoping to have one turn out a color I don't already have since it's not the typical chipmunk pattern. Here's the latest pic of the chick...

Thanks for any input! :)

Since both EE's and olive eggers are mixed breeds, they can occur in many colors, in both bantam and standard size, and produce a wide variety of egg color. EE's can lay eggs from blue through green and olive to tan.

So it sounds like the only difference is olive eggers ONLY lay the olive color. My standard size EEs definitely lay an assortment of colors, I get blue, 2 shades of green and one lays a brown egg thats so light it looks pink.
Thanks for the info!

I have some black bantams and one grey with legs that color, do you think they're ee? I've been able to identify most of mine since most are different feather legged varieties. I also have one white bantam that has green legs just like the standard size ees but she doesn't have puffy cheeks, she's feathered out mostly white with a light grey hear and there. Her head hasn't feathered yet. She has very long wing feathers that meet under her tail. I refer as she because I have one little black bantam at least a week younger that I can already tell is a too for sure, comb is red he struts his stuff and sometimes runs the 5 he's housed with. I love my little bantams we have 16
1f60a.png
I'm getting some standard ee pullets in a couple weeks I've thought about trying to cross them with one of my bantams just to see what I'd get
1f603.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom