EE With one Blue Leg and one Green Leg !! UPDATED PICS Page 4

How cool, you're the only other person I've come across to experience this! I have a rooster with one green leg and one yellow leg:

ariesmature.jpg

However, I think your bird is more unusual than mine, because to have one slate leg (white skin + dermal melanin) and one willow leg (yellow skin + dermal melanin), it means she has different skin color on each leg! Whereas my rooster has yellow skin all over and dermal melanin on just one leg.

Quote:
Unless it is a chimera, which is an altogether different phenomenon. Rather than try to explain something I have only the barest grasp of, here is a link to a wikipedia article that explains in detail. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(genetics)

I was talking about me- my eyes.. not this chick. Or were you saying I may be a chimera? That could be true too but just won't know for sure unless I get tested for it. People can be chimeras too- there is a program on one of those Discovery type channels(could be NGC or TLC?) about two women who found out they are chimeras. Was a very interesting program. Although in my case I suspect a form of piebaldism is more likely- it's more common and better known than true chimeras..

As for the chick I don't know anything about it.. could be a true chimera or a mutation early in the embryo. Some seeming mutants or chimeras turn out to have normal genes in their gonads and some chimera-looking animals are not chimeric just had a mutation happen in the very early embryo with the cells from that mutated cell spreading out in the embryonic growth.. a lot of "half siders" are of the latter, apparently. Have seen a few pictures of chickens with different color legs and there was a picture on here of a chicken that was very obviously a chimera- it was more or less showing a rooster showing very different phenotype on each side of body.. very cool! Many years ago there was a picture of a hen that was perfectly half red and half white.

I had one like that, two different colored legs, didn't know it was that rare though.

However, when one eye is one color, the other eye another, it is called Heterochromia. I have Sectoral Heterochromia, I have one blue eye and one blue and brown eye. But the color is mutating so in a couple years it will probably be completely brown, so I'll have one of each.

Back
Top Bottom