EE ??

kingfrodo

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 22, 2013
Enterprise, AL

I purchased these two lovely ladies in early November. They haven't laid a single egg yet so I was wondering do you think they fall in that wide category of EE? How old do you *think* they may be? It's hard to get good pix b/c they are still skittish around me.

They're both female easter eggers, so that's a good start!

I can't see the combs from the pic well, but they look light colored, not the darker red of a bird ready to lay. There's really not a sure-fire way to tell age, they could be young birds just coming into point of lay, or they could be mature hens who took the winter off. Either way, as the days start getting longer soon (yippee!) they'll have a better chance of laying.

They're both female easter eggers, so that's a good start!

I can't see the combs from the pic well, but they look light colored, not the darker red of a bird ready to lay. There's really not a sure-fire way to tell age, they could be young birds just coming into point of lay, or they could be mature hens who took the winter off. Either way, as the days start getting longer soon (yippee!) they'll have a better chance of laying.

Awesome!

Thank you! Every day I go out all eggcited and nothing.
sad.png
I think at this point I should just accept I probably wont see anything until spring.

You have two pretty little Easter Eggers.
smile.png
Based on feather condition and overall appearance, I'd say that they are around a year old. However, its almost impossible to tell the age of a chicken once it gets past the adolescent stage (up until then, you can make a good guess by feathering and appearance).

Both of them look like pullets (very pretty ones, too!). I would say that they're at least 8 months old, but I can't say for sure. Should begin laying soon, or wait until spring.

Both of them look like pullets (very pretty ones, too!). I would say that they're at least 8 months old, but I can't say for sure. Should begin laying soon, or wait until spring.

awe, thanks! I'm pretty fond of them too.

I have resigned myself to not see any eggs from them until the spring. That way if I get an egg before then it'll be a nice surprise.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom