eek heat lamp died

gemd

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
N. TEXAS
my heat lamp died. i have had it for one week. came in a kit. my family all have health issues so we really dont want to go in stores and dont have any other way to heat the chicks. hmph. guess i will mask up and pray i dont catch corona virus. lesson learned too late: buy two bulbs

A regular bulb will work in the heat lamp if it's like the ones I have. Use a wattage that conforms to the amount of chicks you have. I have eight chicks under a 20 watt. Be careful to raise or lower the lamp to get the right heat.

Other lamps/light fixtures can be used too. Think outside the box. Lamps can be tilted, laid down, or hung. I certainly would not go to town just for "appropriate" bulbs. Be safe.

Other lamps/light fixtures can be used too. Think outside the box. lamps can be tilted, laid down, or hung. I certainly would not go to town just for "appropriate" bulbs. Be safe.
I agree, it doesn't really matter what you use, as long as it's safe

The same thing just happened to me -- I set up an oil-type space heater for the small room they are in and they seem fine with it. Another option if you have a heater like that.

HEAT lamp bulbs get too hot.
Regular old school lamp light bulbs get plenty hot enough.

How old are your chicks?
Do you have a thermometer?

At three weeks of age they should be just fine with no added heat if they are still in your house.

Back
Top Bottom