Eek! Not liking this new neighbor.

Hawks are protected here in NY. I have lost TOO MANY to the hawks. We tried cd's, scarecrows, owl statues. DH strung 2 MILES of string in my backyard, all crisscrossed. That worked the best, but looks AWFUL. Once those suckers know where to get an easy meal, you'll never get rid of them. Overhead netting where you can, cross your fingers, and SSS as a last resort. I bought one of those scarecrow sprinklers, will try to mount up high to see if it works!

I can't shot it for two reasons, one it is protected and two I am in the middle of the city. If I shot off a gun neighbors will call the cops and the city will know I don't have the highly unobtainable permit I am supposed to have for chickens.

If your lucky it hasn't taken residence near you. Keeping your hens locked up in run for a week will deter the hawk stopping by for a free meal as it learns they are secured so will spend his time in more fruitful hunting grounds.

My hens are always locked in in the coop or run, I think it does live near by I've been hearing it since spring and have seen it flying over (before I got chickens). I'm going to try the CD thing.

Feed the crows in your area if you have them. Crows are extremely smart and territorial, and they'll chase the hawks away. I tried fishing line, CDs, and fake owls and they didn't do diddly squat to deter the hawks. The crows do an excellent job though, I just throw out a handful of corn for them. Good luck!

I vote for putting him (or her) in a sleeper hold and making them tap out!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

We recently had two hawks in ONE day sitting in the trees in our backyard. This is the first time we had seen any hawks near our yard. Thankfully our young neighbor boys took them both out. I didn't even know about it until they had done the deed.

Quote:
CD's didn't keep the birds (not chickens) out of our blueberry bushes, can't imagine it
would work with hawks. The SSS method sounds to be the best. Dead hawks
don't squawk!

You absolutely can not shoot it, or shoot at it.

Covered run is what you do. If the hawk never gets anything to eat, he'll move on. If you spread out the buffet and invite him to as many chicken dinners as he wants, he will stay until the chickens are all gone. That being, of course, if he is large enough to take a chicken. Most hawks aren't. Most hawks aren't a threat to chickens because the chickens are too big to be considered prey.

Back
Top Bottom