EEs and Ameraucana Mix genders??? pic heavy

Dexters Mom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Three Rivers, MA
We are at 52 days! All healthy and starting to get integrated with the big girls.
They free range together, but still sleep in a big crate inside the coop.
I am having a hard time figuring out their gender! This bunch is not making it easy for me!
I am 80% sure I got the sex of them right and now I am looking for confirmation!
M= male (little Roo)
F= female (little Hen)

The Boys

The Girls

It is hard!
M1 has pointy feathers around its neck but no red shoulders.
And F1 has a few red spots, but not on the shoulders and the feathers around the neck are round.

At this age, they don't have the pointy feathers yet. Those come around 3 months or so....what you're seeing now is an optical illusion of the coloring , not the actual feather itself. You'll see a drastic change in them between months 3 and 6,and those neck feathers will really grow and become elongated. Agree M2, M3 and F1 are males.

I guess that is what I get for mail ordering eggs to hatch with no other information but:
"They are Ameraucana Mixes and EEs. I will send you 6 bluish-green eggs and 6 apricot colored ones!"
barnie.gif

M2, M3 and F1 are the most feisty chicks out of the bunch, but I was really hoping for F1 to be a hen.....
I guess I will try again in a month, or so...
Till then I hope they will make friends with my big girls and the Roo of the house!

Thanks so much for all the help!
One day I might get this down

Back
Top Bottom