EE's dont look CLOSE to ready...Take a look please

dbounds10

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 15, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
My 2 EE girls have not changed in facial appearance in weeks. I just looked at some pics of when they were 17 weeks old and as far as comb, color of face, etc they look the same. Do they normally get read combs etc when they are ready to lay like the other girls? My BR and Brahmas have huge bright red combs and faces!

23 weeks old, no squatting, notta.

82702_thelma_23_wks.jpg

82702_thelma_2_23_wks.jpg

82702_louise_2_23_wks.jpg

82702_louise_23_wks.jpg

Sorry, EE's can be unpredictable. I'd say wait a couple more weeks. But I'll also say, your second girl shown is beautiful!!! Very rare to see a more "red" EE hen.

Quote:
Thanks - I thought she was really pretty also, she looks nothing like she did when she was a baby! Both the EE's changed completly!

This was when she was 2 weeks old
82702_louise_2_wks_2.jpg

And here is the other at 2 weeks
82702_thelma_2_wks_2.jpg

Our Ameraucanas (probably EEs, actually, they're just hardware store birds) are similar to these guys. It's been a pretty good amount of time since they were bought/hatched, but they still seem to be "lightfaced" and aren't getting squatty. Our cockerel doesn't try to mount them yet either, like he does the Marans ("Mike the Hen") and the SL Wyandottes. Maybe they are just late bloomers in general?

When I say good amount of time, I mean that the Amaraucanas were about 2-3 wks when purchased, and that was in like... mid-late April, or maybe early May.

I suspect your first one is a pullet because many EEs with that coloration are pullets. That second one... coloration is roo-ish, but she sure looks like a pullet. Have to wait on that one.
I have 2 in the same boat. I go by coloration as much as anything, but one of mine has me on the fence too.

My EEs didn't lay until 36 weeks. I was really perplexed. But once they started? Wowsers, tons of eggs!

Back
Top Bottom