EEs from ChooksChick! new pics in February - page 7

Quote:
nope, using a trick that someone had posted a while back, the thread was called something like "How to get professional pics of your chicks" or something like that. You take a box and set it on it's side. Cut a hole in the top for a light, I'm using a high power flashlight, but a desk lamp works too. Paint or cover the inside of the box to all one color. In my case I just used printer paper to make the box white inside. Then place in chick and take pics
smile.png
I did have to edit the photos because they all came out with a blue background look to them so I just whited out the blue by changing the hue and saturation until the chicks were the right color but the background turned white.

Two more of the blue/gold chick
1bluegoldchick112309-2.jpg
1bluegoldchick112309-3.jpg

the yellow chicks, you can see my hack job in covering the inside of the box in this corner.
3yellowchicks112309-2.jpg

one more of the yellow one with the grey cape, her cheeks are so puffy you can barely see her eye, lol
1greyandyellowchick112309-2.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
It's actually Gold Laced Blue- the inside of the feather is blue, with a gold lacing outside. I can't figure out how to do it on purpose, looking at the chicken calculator...I need to get Henk69 in on this...he's the star when it comes to that madness. I would like to get some plan on continuation of the coloring, but I suspect the roo is going to cancel out the gold in most chicks with his white/silver. I wonder what I'd have to breed her with to get an F2 to breed back to her to continue it...or what her make-up looks like...I can't figure that out, either.

Quote:
Good luck with your hatch! for me 11 out of 16 developed, one was sort of a quitter (it pipped down into the floor so it couldn't get out and I didn't know until much too late) and 10 hatched out into these beauties! They are some of the friendliest and smartest chicks I have ever had. They don't poop in the water and they quickly learned to flip the shavings out of the way in the feeder so I don't have to go in and clear it as often as I've always had to do with my other chicks.

Quote:
It's actually Gold Laced Blue- the inside of the feather is blue, with a gold lacing outside. I can't figure out how to do it on purpose, looking at the chicken calculator...I need to get Henk69 in on this...he's the star when it comes to that madness. I would like to get some plan on continuation of the coloring, but I suspect the roo is going to cancel out the gold in most chicks with his white/silver. I wonder what I'd have to breed her with to get an F2 to breed back to her to continue it...or what her make-up looks like...I can't figure that out, either.

If my blue/gold chick turns out to be a gold laced blue cockerel we will have to figure out a way to get him back to you, lol. I'm not NPIP tested yet so I can't just ship him.

ETA: or you could just send your Cindy here
wink.png

Last edited:
I've been reading up on artificial insemination-- seems like an easy task for chickens, though I'm unsure as to how one would transport and what the viability would look like!!

I've just pm'd Henk69 to see if the mastermind can give input on how one would deliberately reproduce/perfect the color. I'm stumped. The closest thing I can do is make a gold-patterned blue Mille Fleur, and that's not really right.

Her lacing is incomplete, obviously, and is nearly only complete in a Columbian pattern, so I'm really not sure. Of course, it will likely change with each subsequent molt, so who can say?

Quote:
Lacing is usually set by the end of the first adult molt so hers probably won't change much. It is a beautiful color, incomplete or not! In fact, I kinda like her pattern in general, not so sure a completely laced would be quite as pretty.

Quote:
Interesting! I hope the roo's silver/white doesn't overpower the gold in the chick- I'd love to see what it would look like. I'll look for pics of CindyLouWho as a chick to see what her coloring looked like way back then...seems to me she looked blue, but I'll have to see.

Okay, they're all rather awful shots, but there are some. They're after the blue fuzz wore off.

14596_img00327.jpg

14596_img00329.jpg

14596_cindylouwho6wks.jpg

Here's one as fluff: she's the one on the bottom left, and I remember her fluff being bluish and golden/reddish.

14596_img00220.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom