Abraeri

Songster
5 Years
Apr 12, 2017
Atlanta, GA
My Coop
My Coop
Association Between Bird Color and Predator Activity

So I wanted to know if anyone else has seen a correlation between the color of their birds and whether they are more likely to be targeted by predators. I've had 4 attacks over 2 years on my flock, 2 of which were fatal, and all of which were on brown ducks. My flock is almost evenly split between white and brown so they were otherwise equally likely to get picked off.

However, 4 attacks is too small of a sample size to draw a conclusion so I wanted to get all of your opinions, any bird (chicken, duck, quail). I have posted this in the duck thread but anyone with chicken connections, it would be nice if you could spread the word!

Right now I believe that predators prefer brown, the more natural color, over white. So if there is an option they are more likely to go for the brown ducks than for the white ducks. If you have an almost equal number of white and brown birds in your flock and have or have not seen any correlation, please let me know!

Hmmm... that's funny. What's your proportion of whites to browns? Anything you can think of that would make such a drastic difference between our flocks?

Association Between Bird Color and Predator Activity

So I wanted to know if anyone else has seen a correlation between the color of their birds and whether they are more likely to be targeted by predators. I've had 4 attacks over 2 years on my flock, 2 of which were fatal, and all of which were on brown ducks. My flock is almost evenly split between white and brown so they were otherwise equally likely to get picked off.

However, 4 attacks is too small of a sample size to draw a conclusion so I wanted to get all of your opinions, any bird (chicken, duck, quail). I have posted this in the duck thread but anyone with chicken connections, it would be nice if you could spread the word!

Right now I believe that predators prefer brown, the more natural color, over white. So if there is an option they are more likely to go for the brown ducks than for the white ducks. If you have an almost equal number of white and brown birds in your flock and have or have not seen any correlation, please let me know!

:goodpost:

It makes sense about natural colors. Altho rabbits are white for a time so there are all white prey out there

My kahki campbell is way more allert than any of my pekins were. and it made her move more and run more, Most predators eye sight is motion based.
My kahki is like an alarm system

If i had to guess who was going first in an attack it would be big fat dumplings like pekins appleyards cayugas muscovies etc... But not always the case!

Back
Top Bottom