Efficient Way to Harvest Earwigs

DrTacosMD

Chirping
Mar 27, 2015
Riverside, CA
Hi All,
Does anyone have any good advice for ways to collect earwigs without getting a lot of dirt/soil/litter?

So far I collect them by just kicking over logs and then scooping the earwigs into a plastic container. The problem is I collect a lot of dirt and soil with the earwigs. I'm also going to try rolling up a newspaper and sticking it between the logs to see if that works.

Do you collect them as treats for your flock? Just curious
Yup. My chicken love them. Sometimes while I'm scooping up the earwigs I'll have 2 of my buff orpington chicks with me eating any that I miss. I have the earwigs in a plastic container and I'll put 2-4 chicks in there for about 20 min.s to eat the earwigs. Free protein! =]

Do you collect them as treats for your flock? Just curious
Yes, I just keep the traps (more like habitats) in different areas of the garden. I usually start checking them about now. Every so often when I am plinking around near one, I'll call the hens and shake a bunch out for them, until one crawls up my arm and I drop the trap and run screaming and suddering. I'm not bug shy but those thing give me the willies.

Yes, I just keep the traps (more like habitats) in different areas of the garden. I usually start checking them about now. Every so often when I am plinking around near one, I'll call the hens and shake a bunch out for them, until one crawls up my arm and I drop the trap and run screaming and suddering. I'm not bug shy but those thing give me the willies.
:gig I would be doing the same thing! I like them less than spiders and that's saying a LOT!

I don't doubt that. I think the may even breed in the traps. I make fairly large ones, and leave them out over winter, come spring and summer, it's a bonanza. A horrifying horrifying bonanza. 
Do these traps encourage them not to nest elsewhere? They tend to like my pack patio area so when I saw them I would plunk a hen down next to them and they'd be gone in seconds. At least the ones that were out and about. I can't do that now because my pup thinks chickens are chew toys.

Back
Top Bottom