Efforts may be futile

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OldMcContri, Mar 9, 2015.

1. OldMcContri

OldMcContri Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2014
    Ok two questions. The first is, my silkie rooster is about 8 months old, is this too young for him to fertilize eggs? The reason I am asking, is because I have had a hen sitting on eggs for about the past 20 days, and when I candled them, the air sac was large, but the egg was not really really dark inside, unfortunately there were a few eggs slipped in after she started and I didn't notice them right away and when I candled all of them a few of those which are mostly about a week under her look a little darker then they should, but my eye sight is not the greatest. Sorry the last question is, when do I basically tell my girl to give up and go outside and enjoy the fresh air?

2. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Have you seen the roo mating any hens? Can you see any veining when candling? At this point you may not be able to. I'd give the eggs until day 25 or so. If none hatch you'll need to break her. However, since she's been broody for so long could take awhile. There are some really excellent articles on here on broody breaking methods. I personally like the wire bottom cage.

3. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Unless you have your heart set on hatching your own eggs right nows a good time to get chick's easily at tractor supply maybe if they don't hatch slip 5 or 6 chick's under her in the middle of the night? And take the eggs out for eggtopsy? Just a thought.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by