Egg Art!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Poulets De Cajun, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

For a while I've collected feathers and have looked at eggs, and wondered how I could merge my love of art and chickens. I think I've found it...

http://www.eggartguild.org/

Check out the galleries and view the pictures of artwork from past shows. I've got to learn how to do some of this stuff!

And since we are on the subject, if you do Egg Artwork, or any kind of poultry related artwork for that matter, post a picture so we can all see would ya?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hi, I use to carve Emu & Rea eggshells, like the white egg on the bottom right of the gallery. It was really fun.
    You can buy eggs off the internet already cleaned out, best to pay the few dollars extra and get clean ones - they stink!!!! I used a Turbo carver for doing mine, small lite weight and moves like a pencil - no oiling required. It was also fairly priced and good customer service. Make sure to get the foot petal, very helpful. Good Luck - I'll get a pic of one of mine and put on to show.... [​IMG]

3. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    My eggs are done using the polymer clay technique. I sell them at the fairs & shows I go to. Also a boutique carries them. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  4. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    [​IMG] Those are amazing LCRT! How much for a custom order for your bestest friends, the BYC members? LOL Those are great! [​IMG] Bravo. Oh, and congratulations to your hens as well. [​IMG]

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    LCRT those are amazing. Will you come paint my toe nails like that?

Seriously, who's the artist, you or DW? You guys hand painted those?

Do you share them with all the people in your Bible study class? [​IMG]

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Wow, LCRT! Those are amazing!

(I was going to mention an art project I did in kindergarten that involved "painting" with Elmer's glue and crushed colored egg shells, but it doesn't even touch LCRT's eggs! [​IMG] )

7. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
  8. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    Quote:They are not painted PC. Polymer clay is a plastic type of clay that can be baked in a home oven to harden. I make canes from the clay & apply thin slices to the eggs, Bake them, sand them, buff them & apply a coat of wax. You can find polymer clay at craft stores like Michael's. [​IMG]

I use the Sculpey brand, although others use Fimo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Info on making the canes here...

http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/lacecane_shelly.html

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Polymer Clay huh?

What I've envisioned from your description and the pics is that you create long, layered "ropes" of different colors. Then you cut the ends off in thin slices making "discs" and attaching them to the egg shell very close together so as to completely cover the shell. Then you bake to harden, sand, buff, and polish???

I'm liking this idea! Sounds awesome!

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]
    Here is one I did a while ago.......... when I had more patience. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by