Egg Binding - Please help. Have already been to Vet.

Her behavior will tell you when she's expelled all of the rest of the egg remains. It may be a shell-less egg and you won't see egg shells, maybe just a twisted membrane. She will behave much more normally as soon as she gets all the egg out.

Be aware, though, there may be a second egg hung up in there. Often, two yolks are released consecutively, not the same as a double yolk egg. These come down the oviduct in close succession, slowing the process so one can get stuck. It doesn't help that there isn't enough calcium in the shell gland for two eggs, so they can be one or both shell-less, further complicating the process.

As I said, you will know by her behavior when she's finished getting all the egg material out. She will be chipper and hungry and most of all, her poop will be normal and she will stop losing fluids out of her vent.

Can you call the vet back and ask them these questions?
  • How many ml of fluids were given?
  • Were the fluids given subcutaneously or orally?
  • Was calcium gluconate give? If yes, how many mg?
  • What pain killer was given?
  • How many mg of pain killer was given?
Knowing the above will help us give you better advice.

Her behavior will tell you when she's expelled all of the rest of the egg remains. It may be a shell-less egg and you won't see egg shells, maybe just a twisted membrane. She will behave much more normally as soon as she gets all the egg out.

Be aware, though, there may be a second egg hung up in there. Often, two yolks are released consecutively, not the same as a double yolk egg. These come down the oviduct in close succession, slowing the process so one can get stuck. It doesn't help that there isn't enough calcium in the shell gland for two eggs, so they can be one or both shell-less, further complicating the process.

As I said, you will know by her behavior when she's finished getting all the egg material out. She will be chipper and hungry and most of all, her poop will be normal and she will stop losing fluids out of her vent.
Thanks. She's just been standing in her crate with her vent pulsating. I am hopeful she will pass it all...

Can you call the vet back and ask them these questions?
  • How many ml of fluids were given?
  • Were the fluids given subcutaneously or orally?
  • Was calcium gluconate give? If yes, how many mg?
  • What pain killer was given?
  • How many mg of pain killer was given?
Knowing the above will help us give you better advice.
Butorphanol 10mg/ml - 0.6 given
Clavamox 375mg per tab - 1 ever 12 hours (home)
Metacam 1.5 mg/ml - every 24 hours (home)
Meloxicam 5mg/ml - inj 0.61 given
Calcium Gluconate 10%/ml inj - 3 ml given
Fluid SQ-Avian/Exotic - 180 ml

I would still give her warm epsom salt baths with soft
massages. It will make her feel better and pass any
eggs she has. Continue giving calcium every day. It
will help with the contractions. and keep up with the antibiotics.
Tetracycline has always worked on my birds. Give her a
wet mash to eat.

After 3 weeks, we found that Daisy had passed overnight in the Coop. We are very sad as we had grown very fond of her. Death came unannounced as she gave no indication things were turning for the worse yesterday.

We are also very distressed that a second hen is now egg bound and has been in her nesting box for 2 days. We gave her an Epson salt bath last night and calcium to help. Does anyone know why this might be happening? How could we have 2 hens within 4 weeks of each other develop egg binding? Are we doing something wrong??

The first thing to check is diet. Are the hens getting a balanced commercial feed? The second thing to check is the condition of their oyster shell. Is it fresh and nice uniform particles that are not pulverized into powdery residue? The powder won't remain in the digestive tract long enough to be fully absorbed.

The third, less likely, is an underlying disease such as infectious bronchitis, but you would have noticed respiratory symptoms. The fourth is reproductive infection or cancer.

The only thing that will give you precise answers as to why this is happening is to have the dead hen necropsied. Refrigerate the body and find a lab to do this.

The first thing to check is diet. Are the hens getting a balanced commercial feed? The second thing to check is the condition of their oyster shell. Is it fresh and nice uniform particles that are not pulverized into powdery residue? The powder won't remain in the digestive tract long enough to be fully absorbed.

The third, less likely, is an underlying disease such as infectious bronchitis, but you would have noticed respiratory symptoms. The fourth is reproductive infection or cancer.

The only thing that will give you precise answers as to why this is happening is to have the dead hen necropsied. Refrigerate the body and find a lab to do this.
Thanks. I also considered the feed. It's a layer feed that I assume is well balanced as it states? We did not have oyster shell out for them to help themselves until a few weeks ago. It is of uniform particles. My guess is that we weren't giving them proper nutrition or there is a genetic disorder from the online breeder we got them from. Taking her to vet today. Thanks for your feedback!

After 3 weeks, we found that Daisy had passed overnight in the Coop. We are very sad as we had grown very fond of her. Death came unannounced as she gave no indication things were turning for the worse yesterday.

We are also very distressed that a second hen is now egg bound and has been in her nesting box for 2 days. We gave her an Epson salt bath last night and calcium to help. Does anyone know why this might be happening? How could we have 2 hens within 4 weeks of each other develop egg binding? Are we doing something wrong??
The first thing to look at is what you feed your flock.
Do you feed treats regularly? Daily?

Back
Top Bottom