Egg binding

Jul 9, 2020
Melbourne, Australia.
Hi!

So fortunately I don’t have an egg bound hen, but I was just wanting to know about it in case I could help prevent or in worse case, help a chicken pass an egg. Here are my questions.

1. Is there any kind of way to prevent it?

2. How common is it?

3. What are the symptoms?

4. How long does it take to be fatal?

5. Is there any way you can help?

Thanks!

Glad you don't have an eggbound hen! I have a few answers for you.

If you give your hens calcium and avoid high egg production breeds like Sex-links, it drastically reduces your chances of eggbinding.

Eggbinding is fairly common among high egg production breeds. I believe that some hens get eggbound for an hour or two then get the egg out themselves at least once or twice in their lifetime. Young and older layers are most often the ones who fall subject to it, but every once in a while you might get a chicken who naturally has trouble laying eggs. In my experience, lice weakens the hens and causes them to go eggbound more often, and perhaps because they have two problems to fight against all my hens who had lice and were eggbound died.

If they are eggbound, your hen or pullet will hang around the nesting boxes, move slowly, look sort of like they are waddling, go pale in the face, have a pulsing vent, and you should be able to feel a lump near the vent which is the egg.

Most people say that after a few days the hen is doomed, but I have had a hen who got her egg out after a whole week. Sadly, Loyal Penny ended up dying two weeks after due to Lash Egg. I just care for them and hope, either until their egg comes out or until they seem to be in so much pain that I have to put them down.

While they are eggbound, you can help by putting a pinch of Epsom salt in their drinking water and giving them extra calcium. You can also give them Epsom salt baths and massage their back ends to gently try to push the egg out, just be careful not to crack the egg because if the eggshell cut the inside of the hen it could be deadly. Keep them in a warm, moist place (I use my extra bathroom). Most importantly, give them lots of love and spend time with them.

If you want to know more, there are a couple articles on BYC about eggbinding. Have a great day!

If you give your hens calcium and avoid high egg production breeds like Sex-links, it drastically reduces your chances of eggbinding.

Eggbinding is fairly common among high egg production breeds. I believe that some hens get eggbound for an hour or two then get the egg out themselves at least once or twice in their lifetime. Young and older layers are most often the ones who fall subject to it, but every once in a while you might get a chicken who naturally has trouble laying eggs. In my experience, lice weakens the hens and causes them to go eggbound more often, and perhaps because they have two problems to fight against all my hens who had lice and were eggbound died.

If they are eggbound, your hen or pullet will hang around the nesting boxes, move slowly, look sort of like they are waddling, go pale in the face, have a pulsing vent, and you should be able to feel a lump near the vent which is the egg.

Most people say that after a few days the hen is doomed, but I have had a hen who got her egg out after a whole week. Sadly, Loyal Penny ended up dying two weeks after due to Lash Egg. I just care for them and hope, either until their egg comes out or until they seem to be in so much pain that I have to put them down.

While they are eggbound, you can help by putting a pinch of Epsom salt in their drinking water and giving them extra calcium. You can also give them Epsom salt baths and massage their back ends to gently try to push the egg out, just be careful not to crack the egg because if the eggshell cut the inside of the hen it could be deadly. Keep them in a warm, moist place (I use my extra bathroom). Most importantly, give them lots of love and spend time with them.

If you want to know more, there are a couple articles on BYC about eggbinding. Have a great day!
Thanks! This is very helpful! I’m getting some little bantams in the spring to add to my current 3. I’m providing them with layer feed mixed with grower and shell grit (they won’t touch it) because they seem almost ready to lay. Is that enough calcium?

Thanks! This is very helpful! I’m getting some little bantams in the spring to add to my current 3. I’m providing them with layer feed mixed with grower and shell grit (they won’t touch it) because they seem almost ready to lay. Is that enough calcium?
I think layer feed already has a supply of calcium in it, so you should be fine. I love bantams!

Another thing I forgot to add, when you have an eggbound hen you should separate her.

Ok my hen has a prolapse. I can see her blue egg. Shes 6 months old and this is her first egg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom