Egg bound bantam...Help!

SHF1214

Chirping
Feb 21, 2020
I have a Polish bantam that seems to be egg bound. She was sitting in the corner of the run this morning with her head down... she shows all of the signs... panting, lethargic, not wanting to stand... we checked her vent and felt her abdomen and we can feel what we believe is an egg (this is our first case). We soaked her in warm water and put lubricant in the vent and now have her isolated in a quiet dark area. We crushed up some tums and put it on her feed but she’s not wanting to eat...which is no surprise.
Is there ANYTHING else I can do? Is there a way I can get some calcium in her liquid wise down her throat? If so what, how much, how often? If possible I don’t want to lose her and above all I don’t want her to suffer.
Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

There is not an avian vet in the area...atleast not one with chicken experience. The Ag vet that sees our goats doesn’t seem to know or maybe care much about chickens so we’re on our own. We just soaked her for 20mins in an Epson salt bath and lubricated her vent and she’s back in her quiet secluded area....now we wait 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼 I did desolve a tums in water and got some of it down her throat so hopefully she’ll pass the egg.

If you can't get the egg out by giving her tums, and lubricants, you may need to manually remove the egg. Try putting your finger with Vaseline in her vent and try to roll it out. You could also try putting a small hole in the shell without breaking the entire egg and suck out the egg fluids with a syringe. Hope that helped and she gets better!

So she finally passed an egg but still doesn’t seem right... Right now I’m outside of a vets office about an hour from me who sees chickens and she’s in with him. Hopefully she’s ok...

Back
Top Bottom