Egg bound chicken - no vets available

Mainely chickens

Hatching
Sep 17, 2022
My chicken has been egg bound for 2 days (it is definitely a hard-shelled egg, I can feel it from the outside and internally when I lubricated her vent). I’ve been calling local and not so local vets but of course it’s the weekend and none of the vets who do exotics are able to see her until Monday. I’ve tried calcium citrate supplements, vent lubrication, epsom soaks and keeping her in a humid environment as recommended by the vet. Am wondering if anyone else has any recommendations as I’m desperate at this point! We have 11 hens so I am not positive if she typically lays regularly and she was given to us after being a barn chicken and we are unsure of her age. She’s not showing signs of distress and is still eating and was able to have a solid poop yesterday (other than that it has been a fair amount of diarrhea). Appreciate any help anyone may have!

I would continue to give a calcium citrate tablet with D3 daily. Lube the vent with oil. Are you able to touch the egg inside the vent? Make aure that she is drinking plenty of water.

My chicken has been egg bound for 2 days (it is definitely a hard-shelled egg, I can feel it from the outside and internally when I lubricated her vent). I’ve been calling local and not so local vets but of course it’s the weekend and none of the vets who do exotics are able to see her until Monday. I’ve tried calcium citrate supplements, vent lubrication, epsom soaks and keeping her in a humid environment as recommended by the vet. Am wondering if anyone else has any recommendations as I’m desperate at this point! We have 11 hens so I am not positive if she typically lays regularly and she was given to us after being a barn chicken and we are unsure of her age. She’s not showing signs of distress and is still eating and was able to have a solid poop yesterday (other than that it has been a fair amount of diarrhea). Appreciate any help anyone may have!
Hi Mailely chickens, I have a chicken that has the same description problem as your eggbound chicken. I have done the calcium citrate and baths. Did you ever find out what else to do?

Hi Mailely chickens, I have a chicken that has the same description problem as your eggbound chicken. I have done the calcium citrate and baths. Did you ever find out what else to do?
How old is your hen? Is her tail position up or down? Is she walking with her legs wide apart? Is she able to poop, and what does it look like? Has she been laying eggs regularly?

My hen is only 2 yrs old, had a prolapsed vent last year and has not layed an egg that I know of. Her tail is up, eats and poops but poop is mostly diarrhea. She is walking slow and stands around a lot but I dont think she is walking wide apart.

If you give her a calcium citrate 600 mg tablet with vitamin D, that can help her muscle contractions to pass the egg if she has one stuck. Can you see the mass below her vent in a picture?

I cannot see it because it is lower. I havent stuck my finger to feel yet but might try it to see how far it is. I have given the 400mg calcium with D for 4 days and still nothing. How long can I give her the calcium? did you want to see a picture?

You could give it for a few more days, but I would increase it to 600 mg a day. Does it feel like the size of an egg, or could it be a tumor or lash egg material inside her abdomen?

It feels like a hard egg. Doesnt a tumor feel soft?? from the outside but I have not felt the inside yet. Will check tomorrow if I can by sticking my finger down her vent. What happened to your chicken? Did the calcium make her lay the egg? Did you talk to a vet?

Back
Top Bottom