Egg-bound chicken?

It seems like the stress of being out in the big coop near the others —even in a confined environment—is making her feel worse. Today she was standing up with her eyes closed which I haven’t seen her do for many weeks. I bought some vitamin B in a liquid form to give her. Going to try that. I’m wondering if I should move her back into the garage in the separate coop where it’s warmer? Or if I should give her the calcium tablet slushies again? I realize none of this may work, and I may be grasping at straws, but after what we’ve been through I just don’t want to give up on her.

It seems like the stress of being out in the big coop near the others —even in a confined environment—is making her feel worse. Today she was standing up with her eyes closed which I haven’t seen her do for many weeks. I bought some vitamin B in a liquid form to give her. Going to try that. I’m wondering if I should move her back into the garage in the separate coop where it’s warmer? Or if I should give her the calcium tablet slushies again? I realize none of this may work, and I may be grasping at straws, but after what we’ve been through I just don’t want to give up on her.
If it's stressing her to be near the others and you can move her to the garage with no problems, by all means try that.
The B Vitamins won't hurt her. Extra calcium? You can try that for a couple of days to see if that makes a difference again. Excess calcium can cause kidney problems so if she is not laying, then she doesn't need much.

Here she is this morning. Would you consider this a full crop? Also see how she has her wings dropped down with the under-wing feathers showing. What do you make of this?

Attachments

• 1B0369F5-E7E6-471B-A2C1-B96C4FDE524A.jpeg
    1B0369F5-E7E6-471B-A2C1-B96C4FDE524A.jpeg
    856.8 KB · Views: 4
How does her crop feel?

Sadly, any of mine that had a similar stance like that I eventually put them down. While a couple had crop issues, that was only symptom of reproductive problems.
I would feel her crop, if it's full, doughy or airy - massage it a little so you can get a better feel. I will usually also give around 1tsp of coconut oil, then massage a little more. You can put the coconut oil in the fridge or freezer to harden it, then break it up into bite size chunks. Mine have always willingly eaten it once they taste it.
Depending on how the crop feels, I try to get some fluids into them as well. Usually not a lot, but a little. I do this several times a day. I don't worry about food, if the crop is not moving, then they will be fine for a day or so if they don't eat.

You can try soaking her again as well. That might be soothing, but you have to gauge how stressed she is.

I wish I had better answers for you:hugs It can be oh so frustrating. I have lost several to reproductive problems. I open mine up when I put them down, just so I can see and learn. I have found cancer, masses, egg matter, fluid, etc. none of these are curable and there was nothing I could have done differently to change the outcome. It's very sad.

We’ve been away most of the day today, so just now able to respond. I put Rosie back into her garage coop so she can be calmer and warmer. I’m going to try these suggestions tomorrow. Thank you so very much for all your guidance and wisdom. You have guided me through this every step of the way, sharing things I would never have known to try. It’s a very tough situation. We’ve grown so attached her.

We’ve been away most of the day today, so just now able to respond. I put Rosie back into her garage coop so she can be calmer and warmer. I’m going to try these suggestions tomorrow. Thank you so very much for all your guidance and wisdom. You have guided me through this every step of the way, sharing things I would never have known to try. It’s a very tough situation. We’ve grown so attached her.
Good idea. If being in the garage reduces her stress that will be helpful.
Sometimes they perk up when separated, all you can do is try.
You are welcome, you have done all the work and taking such good care of her.
It is a tough place to be in and can be so heartbreaking.
Please keep me posted.

Update: Rosie’s crop is still full and hard and I’m concerned that she doesn’t seem to be going to the bathroom as frequently. Can I give the coconut oil directly into her mouth as a liquid? Anything else we can do? I watched a video online about trying to make a chicken throw it up but it also looks like it could be dangerous as they could choke. The vet that typically helps us is now away for several weeks and I don’t have another vet who will see chickens at this point. She does not want me close to her crop but I guess I’m going to have to give her more water and see if I can massage it. Is that approach enough to get it, usually, to pass or is it necessary to make them throw up? She’s very hungry and keeps wanting to eat but I don’t know whether to take up her food because that’s making the problem worse? Thanks in advance for any advice.

You syringe the coconut oil if she won't eat the chunks.

You mention that she doesn't want you near her crop - does she act like it hurts if you touch it?
I would not vomit her unless it's the last resort, you do risk her choking. If you find it necessary, watch more videos and let her rest and breath in between attempts.

My apologies for the delay in giving an update. The good news is Rosie’s crop does seem to be emptying. She is just eating so much throughout the day that it gets very large. It’s odd that she has such a big appetite yet by her wings drooping, you can tell she’s not at 100 percent. I’m still keeping her separated in the garage coop at night and putting her out by herself in the sunshine during the day in a separate coop. If it wasn’t for the way she stands you really wouldn’t know there was anything wrong. I continue to feed her the regular food along with a few banana slices, lettuce and meal worms as a treat. I will continue posting updates on the sweet girl. Thank you for your advice and concern!

Back
Top Bottom