Egg bound hen - Day 2 -advice needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MidwayCoop, Apr 14, 2017.

1. MidwayCoop

MidwayCoop New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    I've got a 3 yo Andalucian Blue hen that appears to be egg bound. She is a light-bodied chicken and often ranges out of our coop, so I noticed right away yesterday morning that she was "off."

I feel what seems to be a large egg in her abdomen. I soaked her for 30 minutes yesterday, gently massaging her abdomen. Didn't have calcium but put her in a dog kennel with food, water and covered with a heat lamp. This morning, there are 2 small droppings in the kennel but no egg.

What is the next step? I can't see the egg. Yesterday after the soaking, her vent started to prolapse but fortunately receded. The egg seems low. I'm worried about her prolapsing again.
    She's never had any problems before, is not overweight. The only thing I can think is maybe since she ranges she's not getting much oyster shell/laying pellets? Or else there's another issue (cancer? Something else?)

I've been reading a ton of articles/prior forum posts but I'm not sure that breaking the egg for removal is a good idea, especially since it's not presenting at the vent, and is sitting low down in her abdomen.

Any advice welcome!!!!

Thank you

Sara

2. kealoni

kealoni Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2016
    Can you post a photo?if she is egg bound you need to soak her for 30min with warm water and episoms salt then give her. 20 min break the repeat until egg is out.if she separated from the rest of the flock?she needs to be inside the house in a crate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by