Egg bound hen: is there anything else I can do?

Ruffle

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2021
Suffolk, UK
I have an egg bound hen. She has been to the vet. Over the course of 2 days they gave her physical exam, x-ray, calcium injection, oxytocin, pain killers, antibiotics, baths, and finally they aspirated the egg,

But the shell has not broken, the egg has not collapsed and she still cannot pass it.

Is there anything else I can do for her or do I have to accept that all avenues have been explored and it's time to say goodbye?

She is drinking but not eating and clearly pretty exhausted.

Could you try and give her a warm Epsom salt bath, and try to massage the egg out?
A few years ago, I found a chicken running through the middle of TOWN on Halloween. Could have been a weird prank gone wrong, but I'll never know.
This town isn't known for agriculture in the least, and the hen was totally out of place, that's for sure.
I ended up cornering her under a car and using a fishing net (that I had in my truck) to capture her.
She smelled SO bad.
She was covered in puncture wounds, and was obviously...leaking... From the back end.

I brought her home and did exactly this. A warm epsom salt bath. Not too strong or anything.
I sat her in the tub, and she seemed to enjoy it quite a bit! If I had my old phone on me, I could show pictures of her in the tub.
Anyways, I plugged my nose and went to town, cleaning the wounds and, well, digging stuff out of her rear end. (Vomit react). I used a tad of dish soap, too. Especially when I was "massaging".

She is still with us. Albeit a small golden comet looking thing.

Could you try and give her a warm Epsom salt bath, and try to massage the egg out?
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I've tried bathing her. She quite likes the baths but doesnt like being wet or being dried off. But the baths dont seem to be doing the trick. The vet said that after they aspirated (drained) the egg the empty shell moved further back along her oviduct away from the vent. Maybe its too far up for her to get it out. I can feel it - it's huge.

A few years ago, I found a chicken running through the middle of TOWN on Halloween. Could have been a weird prank gone wrong, but I'll never know.
This town isn't known for agriculture in the least, and the hen was totally out of place, that's for sure.
I ended up cornering her under a car and using a fishing net (that I had in my truck) to capture her.
She smelled SO bad.
She was covered in puncture wounds, and was obviously...leaking... From the back end.

I brought her home and did exactly this. A warm epsom salt bath. Not too strong or anything.
I sat her in the tub, and she seemed to enjoy it quite a bit! If I had my old phone on me, I could show pictures of her in the tub.
Anyways, I plugged my nose and went to town, cleaning the wounds and, well, digging stuff out of her rear end. (Vomit react). I used a tad of dish soap, too. Especially when I was "massaging".

She is still with us. Albeit a small golden comet looking thing.
What a lovely story! Thank you for sharing, I really needed to hear a happy chicken story today :)

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I've tried bathing her. She quite likes the baths but doesnt like being wet or being dried off. But the baths dont seem to be doing the trick. The vet said that after they aspirated (drained) the egg the empty shell moved further back along her oviduct away from the vent. Maybe its too far up for her to get it out. I can feel it - it's huge.
Have you tried to massage it out? Poor girl.
@Overo Mare should be able to give some advice.

Poor thing! I had an egg bound hen not to long ago. She almost died, but she was able to pass the egg after a long warm bath and gentle massaging. I’d think the calcium the vet gave your girl will start to help soon. Hopefully she will be able to pass it. Perhaps she just needs to be set in a dark, warm place to rest.

I do hope you get your hen to pass her egg. I've had many egg bound hens, and many were able to pass the egg after a time but a prolapse vent is sometimes the end result so try not to work at her too much. Dark and quiet place is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom