Egg bound hen

Rt66Kix

Songster
6 Years
Feb 21, 2017
St. Louis, MO area
This am I found a hen showing classic signs of egg binding... pigeon toed walk and straining. She was still eating and moving with the flock. I gave her 2 warm water baths, put some zinc oxide cream in and around her vent, (didn't feel an egg when I inserted my finger) and then made a small protected space in the coop with food and water.

But then I had to leave for work. I won't be home to check on her until about 6:30. Hoping she will have passed the egg...but if not, any suggestions?

I would separate her and give her some calcium when you get back. Maybe give her a soak in the bathtub/sink as well. If she has declined, try feeding some oatmeal or scrambled egg if she’s not eating. If she still is egg-bound when you get back, I would put her in a plastic tote inside the house, lined with a towel (if you have an old one) or bedding, a bowl of feed, water, and preferably a heating pad or something similar to keep her warm. This is what I would do, but I’m sure others have different opinions.

I would separate her and give her some calcium when you get back. Maybe give her a soak in the bathtub/sink as well. If she has declined, try feeding some oatmeal or scrambled egg if she’s not eating. If she still is egg-bound when you get back, I would put her in a plastic tote inside the house, lined with a towel (if you have an old one) or bedding, a bowl of feed, water, and preferably a heating pad or something similar to keep her warm. This is what I would do, but I’m sure others have different opinions.
I mixed in a healthy dose of oyster shell with the food. How else to give her calcium? Thanks!!

I mixed in a healthy dose of oyster shell with the food. How else to give her calcium? Thanks!!
Regular calcium citrate for humans can work. You just pop the tablet into her beak, by pinching the side of her beak (she should open up) and popping it inside. The dosage is 500mg-600mg.

I think @azygous may be able to help you more.

Last edited:
On your way home from work stop and pick up some calcium citrate. It works much faster than oyster shell. This is what I use.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

There are three different sources of calcium, all different, all digested and absorbed at varying rates of effectiveness. The most common source is calcium carbonate. This is what egg shells, oyster shell, and calcite derived calcium supplements are. It's the highest in calcium, but it's the most difficult to digest and absorb. Some hens absorb it so slowly and inefficiently that it's not able to adequately supply their shell gland. So, they often produce shell-less eggs or very thin shell eggs.

The second kind of calcium is calcium gluconate. It comes from fruits and vegetables. It's not very high in calcium and still hard to digest and absorb.

The third kind of calcium is calcium citrate. It's the by-product of the manufacturing process of making citric acid. This form of calcium is very easy to digest and absorb. For this reason, it works much, much faster than the other two types of calcium. This is the form of calcium that's best to use when a hen is having reproductive issues from the relatively minor one of shell quality to the most serious and life threatening one of egg binding.

One calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D given right into the beak once a day until the issue is resolved is what I strongly recommend. Here's what to buy.

Calcium citrate is not meant for daily use as a calcium source, only a temporary intense calcium boost in a reproductive crisis. Good quality oyster shell is still the very best source of calcium you can provide for laying hens. But be sure they're getting the large oyster shell particles and not the powdery residue left in the bottom of the container as it runs through a hens system much too fast to be properly absorbed. The larger particles remain much longer in the digestive tract allowing for much greater absorption. This will help to assure your hen is keeping her calcium stores topped off and will have less tendency to have egg issues.

I'm at the farm now and she's still alive. Could tell she ate pellets (16% Dumor layer feed) and seems strong. Did a 20 minute Epsom salt soak. Crushed some homeopathic Calc Fluor and added water and syringed into mouth. Also syringed some Prep H into her vent (different syringe!).

I'll take her home and put her in garage in crate with heat lamp. Garage temp is about 75 but her feathers are wet from bath.

Gently felt vent/abdomen area but didn't feel egg. Her abdomen is quite swollen.

Pictures of vent after bath and full body shot. She's strong enough to object to treatment, and waddled back to door of coop.

Once she's settled in the garage I'll go get Calcium Citrate. Thanks y'all. I hope she makes it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210521_185639056.jpg
    IMG_20210521_185639056.jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210521_185643753.jpg
    IMG_20210521_185643753.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210521_185713229.jpg
    IMG_20210521_185713229.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 4
On your way home from work stop and pick up some calcium citrate. It works much faster than oyster shell. This is what I use.View attachment 2681472
There are three different sources of calcium, all different, all digested and absorbed at varying rates of effectiveness. The most common source is calcium carbonate. This is what egg shells, oyster shell, and calcite derived calcium supplements are. It's the highest in calcium, but it's the most difficult to digest and absorb. Some hens absorb it so slowly and inefficiently that it's not able to adequately supply their shell gland. So, they often produce shell-less eggs or very thin shell eggs.

The second kind of calcium is calcium gluconate. It comes from fruits and vegetables. It's not very high in calcium and still hard to digest and absorb.

The third kind of calcium is calcium citrate. It's the by-product of the manufacturing process of making citric acid. This form of calcium is very easy to digest and absorb. For this reason, it works much, much faster than the other two types of calcium. This is the form of calcium that's best to use when a hen is having reproductive issues from the relatively minor one of shell quality to the most serious and life threatening one of egg binding.

One calcium citrate tablet with vitamin D given right into the beak once a day until the issue is resolved is what I strongly recommend. Here's what to buy.

Calcium citrate is not meant for daily use as a calcium source, only a temporary intense calcium boost in a reproductive crisis. Good quality oyster shell is still the very best source of calcium you can provide for laying hens. But be sure they're getting the large oyster shell particles and not the powdery residue left in the bottom of the container as it runs through a hens system much too fast to be properly absorbed. The larger particles remain much longer in the digestive tract allowing for much greater absorption. This will help to assure your hen is keeping her calcium stores topped off and will have less tendency to have egg issues.
I bought this at Walmart tonight, but the tablets are huge! How do you administer it?

Every. Single. Person. Says the same thing when they see how big the tablets are. Chickens have an open channel from their throat to their crop. They do not chew because they have no teeth, so they swallow things whole. You chew before swallowing, so you think your chicken must have trouble swallowing a pill, too. The tablet goes from beak to crop instantly. Try it. You'll see. Pry open the beak and shove it in. It will disappear.

Every. Single. Person. Says the same thing when they see how big the tablets are. Chickens have an open channel from their throat to their crop. They do not chew because they have no teeth, so they swallow things whole. You chew before swallowing, so you think your chicken must have trouble swallowing a pill, too. The tablet goes from beak to crop instantly. Try it. You'll see. Pry open the beak and shove it in. It will disappear.
Ok I will! I raised and hand-fed parrots for years, and they are a little more sensitive. I ground up 3 of them and added to water and food. I'm starting to think it might be EYP or ?????

I really appreciate your help.

Are you sure your hen is eggbound? I had thought the same of my redrock a few weeks ago.It turned out to be water belly,in desperation I gave her Noroclav 250 mgs for 6 days.Crushed to a powder and sprinkled on sweetcorn,she recovered and is now running around as normal,just not laying but I am not bothered about that.

You maybe have a similar issue and the above worth a try,hope she recovers.

Back
Top Bottom