Egg bound Hen

Me&Chooks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
IOM
I'm new to this site so please excuse me if I do something wrong
roll.png

I need some advice on my chicken Molly, she just had suspected egg bound for the last two days, she would not eat just drink and sit in the nest box all day straining. We were giving her time to see if she could push the egg out herself before we intervened, and just when we started to worry she pulled through.

It was a huge egg I can tell you that and rock solid, anyway, she was running around afterwards (in the early afternoon of the day she laid the egg) she was just her usual chirpy self. The next day she had again gone quiet shes eating, drinking following me like she usually does but shes just gone very quiet and is going to bed early when the sun is still out in the sky. Oh and it appears shes not laying anymore eggs and she isn't visiting the nest box.

So is she just tired after laying that egg? Or is something else wrong?
Shes at the top of the pecking order so it won't be bullying problems that appears to making her like this..
If anyone has ever experienced this please post and hopefully put my mind at ease
smile.png

Last edited:
I would guess she's probably a little traumatised at laying such a large egg. Since she is eating and drinking that's a good sign.

If she continues to improve then hopefully she will be ok.

That's good to hear, shes still acting tired but still chases the food I throw out for them
tongue.png

Hopefully like you say she will be OK

Keep a close eye on her. I just lost on a few weeks ago to egg bound.
Mine was walking real slow like a penguin. Then she began to not eat or drink. We tried to help her but it was too late.
hit.gif

If you "search" "egg bound" there is a wealth of information on this site. Also "internal layer" is a good topic to search.

Good Luck

I'm sorry about your chuck
sad.png

I have googled it and as you say it just recommends keep an eye on her and making sure she eats to keep her strength up.
I appreciate your replies everyone
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom