Egg Bound Hen????

jbpatwood

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 1, 2011
Maine
Please help! This is the second hen I am losing with no explanation. My 6.5 month old Barred Rock's color is drained from her comb and wattles. She seems to be leaking egg white from her vent. I noticed this morning a lot of blood in the coop where one of my hens roosts. She isn't eating or drinking. All she seems to want to do is lay down. Do you think she's egg bound and the egg burst inside of her? When I touched her belly, she seemed to jerk as if she was in pain, but I can feel no egg. I don't know what to do. This is my first time caring for chickens, and I am feeling quite helpless. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you

I just stroked her belly, and a lot of bloody fluid came out when I did this? I tdon't know if that will help anyone. She is eating yogurt like there's no tomorrow. I have given her some electrolytes via a syringe. Can someone please give me a little input?

my first thought would be a broken egg inside her ... that has cut her - and is causing other issues when the next egg decends.

Has she laid yet ? at 6.5 months she's right at the age when she should start if not already.

Hopefully someone else will have more input for you ....

But, I would most definitely separate her from the rest. Blood will attract the others to pick - and they can/will/do peck a weak hen to death.

did the other hen have the same symptoms ? If both had bloody discharge from their vents, it could be cocci - I'm not sure if worms would cause that type of symptom. Maybe try a few searches on here for egg bound, cocci and worms.

I wish I could offer more ... there are a lot of chicken problems that I've never dealt with personally - but there are a lot of people here on BYC - I'm sure someone will have some ideas for you.

Last edited:
Its possible she could have an egg stuck in her.. My friend had a hen like that and to save her she took her to the poultry doc. and they took the egg out

Thanks so much for helping me. My little hen has passed. I still am not sure what caused this. I am wondering if both hens were egg bound. They were both Barred Rocks. One had fluid draining from her mouth the other had fluid draining from her vent. I never noticed bloody stool with the first one, only the second. I'm quite nervous if I don't figure out what it is, I'll lose my whole flock. Everyone seems to be acting normal right now, but it seems to be so sudden. None of the symptoms the birds were displaying seem to fit any of the diseases I've researched.
I am not exactly sure if they have been laying or not. I have 23 birds, and only about seven have begun to lay so far. I'm only sure of one who is laying right now.

Thanks soo much guys! I guess I'll just have to wait and see....and continue my research:)

soooooo sorry...
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom