Egg bound or gleet problem??

Chloe_El

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2020
My 3 year old hen who is usually super excited about being fed was very unenthusiastic yesterday about feeding time. throughout the day she became lethargic. today she didnt want to eat at all and has been lethargic, and drinking a lot. She has started eating again, but i don't know what is wrong with her. we treated her for worms with ivermectin last night and this morning there were two dead roundworms in her poop. she just pooped i think, but it was all yellow and membrane-like. Could it be gleet? or egg bound? she seems a little swollen in her abdomen, but she layed an egg yesterday morning. can anyone help? thanks in advance. we really love this chicken as i am the one who hatched her and she is so sweet!

I soaked her in warm water for ten minutes, shes laying on my brothers lap right now in a towel and seems ok, but im very concerned...

If she is egg bound then you may be able to feel the eggs if you gently push your finger into her vent. You may be able to get eggs out of her if you lubricate her vent. Could you posts a picture of her poo and how she is standing? I don't know much about vent gleet so I can only help about egg binding. Sorry😬. Hope she gets better!

If she is egg bound then you may be able to feel the eggs if you gently push your finger into her vent. You may be able to get eggs out of her if you lubricate her vent. Could you posts a picture of her poo and how she is standing? I don't know much about vent gleet so I can only help about egg binding. Sorry😬. Hope she gets better!

Ill go try and get some pics

here are pics, she is a bit wet because we gave her a warm bath just now.
IMG-0266.jpg
IMG-0270.jpg

IMG-0269.jpg
IMG-0270.jpg
IMG-0266.jpg

She is ok this morning, a bit better about eating than yesterday. But I still can’t figure out what’s wrong 🤷🏽‍♀️

Can you insert a finger into her vent 1-2 inches to feel for a stuck egg? Has she been laying eggs regularly recently? How old is she? With her tail down position and her swollen abdomen, reproductive infection or ascites from liver problems or egg yolk peritonitis are possibilities. Post pictures of any more unusual droppings. Continue to try and get her drinking and eating. Cooked egg, moist chicken feed, tuna or canned cat food are good choices.

Back
Top Bottom