Egg bound recovery

Awheller

Chirping
Sep 20, 2021
What does egg bound recovery look like? I have been doing extensive research and reading however I have not found much on the recovery process after being egg bound.

Sunday I noticed one of my hen's tail was down she was moving slow looking limpish and uncomfortable. I brought her in for a closer look thinking she may have an injury. Monitoring her she was lightly panting uninteresed in food or water and she would close her eyes, I realized she must be egg bound. I felt for and egg and I discovered a soft shell egg stuck in her vent. The egg was still in form it was not broken. It was not super soft just not completely hard. I lubed her up and sat her in a warm bath and massaged her gently. It was only a matter of minutes before the egg passed. It was very easy and she seemed very relieved.

She drank water after which was a relief for me and ate a little. Since Sunday her tail is still down and walking oddly. Her energy level had improved she is acting almost normal, but not eating or drinking as much as she usually does. She has been hiding out taking it easy. What I am worried about is she has not laid an egg since Sunday, could she be backed up? I have felt for another egg but have not felt another where I found the frist egg. I'm worried she is backed up further inside. How long does recovery typically last for egg binding and what is normal time frame for next egg to be laid after being egg bound? Could she still be egg bound? I'm ready to take her to the vet if she does not perk up asap.

What does egg bound recovery look like? I have been doing extensive research and reading however I have not found much on the recovery process after being egg bound.

Sunday I noticed one of my hen's tail was down she was moving slow looking limpish and uncomfortable. I brought her in for a closer look thinking she may have an injury. Monitoring her she was lightly panting uninteresed in food or water and she would close her eyes, I realized she must be egg bound. I felt for and egg and I discovered a soft shell egg stuck in her vent. The egg was still in form it was not broken. It was not super soft just not completely hard. I lubed her up and sat her in a warm bath and massaged her gently. It was only a matter of minutes before the egg passed. It was very easy and she seemed very relieved.

She drank water after which was a relief for me and ate a little. Since Sunday her tail is still down and walking oddly. Her energy level had improved she is acting almost normal, but not eating or drinking as much as she usually does. She has been hiding out taking it easy. What I am worried about is she has not laid an egg since Sunday, could she be backed up? I have felt for another egg but have not felt another where I found the frist egg. I'm worried she is backed up further inside. How long does recovery typically last for egg binding and what is normal time frame for next egg to be laid after being egg bound? Could she still be egg bound? I'm ready to take her to the vet if she does not perk up asap.
Mine got better every day, little by little, even after she layed the egg. In my case, it just took a week or so for her to get back to normal :D

Back
Top Bottom