Egg bound success followed by leakage??

riverlane91

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 25, 2014
It has been a high of 10 for the past few days and I had a BR hen, about 10 months old, try to lay an egg. The egg was very large and when I found her it was half in and half out. The skin was stretched around the egg hanging outside her body. Some of the skin was frost bitten. We took her inside to warm up. She is acting fine. I have her olive oil and she drank plenty of water. I was finally able to get the egg out and made sure no egg shell was stuck inside her. She has some swelling and drainage going on. And seems to still be squatting. She is getting a good appetite back and is still drinking plenty. I am not sure if she is constipated or just feeling the swelling and having the urge to push. I am using preparation H cream as well. I cannot soak her in warm water because it is simply too cold out. Any ideas or advice would be helpful

The egg did break a little bit from her pushing on it while the skin and egg were frozen but I think I did a good job of getting it all out. Do you think the drainage is just from being stretched out a lot and maybe a little cut internally?

I assume that it is a whiteish color because it drains out then freezes whiteish. There was a little blood the first day.

Well I know,(only from reading and researching, no personal experience) that egg left in the chicken can cause infection and this is what can kill them.

If it was me this is what I would do:

1. Put her on an antibiotic for the recommended period of time.

2. Increase her calcium in take for a week.

3. Give extra vitamins and electrolytes in the water...can't hurt for the whole flock to have it for a while.

4. Continue to monitor.

5. Read this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

Good luck!

Update!
Since I got the egg out and trimmed the feathers, she is 100% better! I upped their calcium by putting tums in their water and she seems to be feeling great!

Great to hear!
yesss.gif
Thanks for the update!

Back
Top Bottom