egg bound with broken egg?

kristashine

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 1, 2010
Harrisonburg, VA
One of my hens that just started to lay (2 eggs so far) is acting egg bound this morning. sitting in nesting box, BOCKing really loud, waddling back and forth, squatting, etc.
it also just snowed (again). I shoveled the chickens path, then she waddled down it and past me. I walked back up it and it had yellow spots on it. It *could* be pee drips from the dog I suppose, but I am almost positive it was from her. its sort of yolk looking vs pee looking. and didnt melt the snow under it very much like pee does.

I did not feel an egg when i felt her ab area, and her duct is puckered and red.

any advice?

When our hen had this problem we followed the advice given on BYC and gave her a soak in a warm bath for a bit. She loved it and the blow dry with the hairdryer that came after. We did that a couple times before she passed everything. My concern would be that your hen may still have broken shell in there. They can get peritonitis infection if she does not pass that. Hang in there as I'm sure Specklehen or some more experienced folks will come to your rescue soon:hugs

Back
Top Bottom