Egg bound with eye discharge

Mrichard0930

Songster
7 Years
Sep 15, 2016
Hello my 3 yo female white layer duck I think was egg bound she hasn’t laid an egg in few days and was for about 4 weeks straight every day. Earlier she was laying in barn with foamy eye discharge In eye lid and yellow tears and when I took her into my tub noticed jolting and clearly pushing so I made warm bath etc she laid egg eventually. I attached a picture this strange piece was attached to it almost looks like a piece of inside an egg cooked though. Her eyes afterward had like white gooey discharge. She’s resting outside now with her friends walking fine and are but still has a little eye discharge like yelliwish almost like she’s crying. I just want to make sure she’s going to be okay and what is possibly the issue ? She eats food with oyster shells and grapes and free ranges all day with four other ducks in waterfall pond and grass. Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

• 64B3DCAF-9B9F-4D2A-8DED-C7AE93D115A3.jpeg
    64B3DCAF-9B9F-4D2A-8DED-C7AE93D115A3.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 5
For the eyes, I suggest first flushing it with some warm saline 0.9% copiously, any debris around the eye can be wiped off with a damp warm cloth afterward. You can then apply an ophthalmic ointment such as Terramycin to help combat any bacterial overabundance on the eye.
Terramycin can be found at most feed stores in the livestock medical section:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pfizer-terramycin-opthalmic-ointment-1-8-oz
1620860588137.png
Eye issues are commonly due to over-mating from drakes, pollutants in the environment, and lack of head deep water. Attempting to correct any problems will prevent this from occurring in the future.
Laying birds require tremendous amounts of calcium in their diet to adequately lay eggs; when there is not a sufficient amount of calcium intake one will begin to see egg-related issues such as egg binding, or soft eggshells.
This can be treated by starting the bird on a calcium supplement. Calcium gluconate and calcium citrate +D3 are two forms that are commonly used.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-calcium-gluconate-500-ml
Dose 0.2ml per pound, orally, with the product linked above.
In addition to this ensure she is being fed a poultry feed, preferably a duck feed for layers.

Thank you for the information I’ll go get that stuff tomorrow -today I just gave her albon Antibiotic that I had left over from taking my other duck to the vet. She seemed a little better after I gave it to her but she still not doing much of anything walking around drinking water swimming but she hasn’t really ate Food except for giving her grapes. Her vent is all black so I’m gonna put her in the tub warm baths for an hour shortly and then put her in a dark room all night so she hopefully doesn’t have to try to lay an egg. A few days ago there was white glob All around an egg I found in the middle of the yard I figured it was one of my new ducks laying early but now I’m wondering if that was maybe her it had white stuff all over it and that’s the last egg I’ve seen from her a few days ago besides the one she laid today after pushing excessively in the tub. We have a pond so she’s constantly In clean water it has a waterfall it’s our natural spring so it’s moving water very clean thanks

Back
Top Bottom