Egg bound wobbly duck

Ckkramer22

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2021
You
My 6 month old pekin was seeming wobbly while standing, drinking from her pool. I walked over to her and she started walking away and then all the sudden she flipped on her back and was almost seizing? I held on to her gently so she wouldn’t hurt herself and then all the sudden she popped out a soft shell egg. She’s still walking around like she’s drunk. I put her in our “duck hospital”- a small coop away from all the other birds with some fresh water with probiotics and electrolytes as well as some food. Any thoughts?

This seems like normal reactions when poultry lay soft shelled eggs. It takes a lot out of them.
What type of feed is she on? Any supplements? Even if on a layer feed, I recommend oyster shell on the side. At 6 months though, shes new to laying and most likely will have some blips here and there.

On an all flock layer feed as I have both chickens and ducks. They free range in the woods all day long so there is a chance she could have eaten something too? I’ll go get some oyster shells

On an all flock layer feed as I have both chickens and ducks. They free range in the woods all day long so there is a chance she could have eaten something too? I’ll go get some oyster shells
Most likely it's the laying of the soft shelled egg. They will go into a trance before and after. The flipping on her back could just be because she toppled over in the trance. But, if you think she has some issues, I would get some vitamin b complex or nutri-drench for her as well.
I feed an all flock too. I place oyster shell and crushed egg shells in a separate container that is available at all times. Sometimes I still have egg issues, but even poultry on layer feed have egg issues. When I have an egg laying issue I also add crushed citracal to their oyster shell. The citracal has vitamin d3 and that helps with calcium absorption.

Back
Top Bottom