Egg bound

Oh cluck

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2021
Day 3 (that I'm aware of) of egg bound hen. Researched lots of sites and watched a lot of tutorials on treatment. Still unsure on a few things. How often should the hen soak in a warm Epsom salt bath? How much and how often should I administer Tum's? Thanks for any and all replies.

Day 3 (that I'm aware of) of egg bound hen. Researched lots of sites and watched a lot of tutorials on treatment. Still unsure on a few things. How often should the hen soak in a warm Epsom salt bath? How much and how often should I administer Tum's? Thanks for any and all replies.
I do not know how to exactly help you! Hopefully others will come to this thread to help you.

Hopefully someone comes in the thread to help. Start off with esposum salt bath with warm water if it gets worst you can wait for reply. Try to remove the eggs with something without it breaking. Keep her in a dark area with no lighting you might have to remove another eggs.

Last edited:
I don't have much experience with egg binding either, but I'll tag @sourland & @Eggcessive and see if they can help. I do know you can give (regular) tums and it can help them pass the egg. Not sure on dosage though.

Welcome to BYC, sorry your hen is not well. Is a vet an option? If no, can you take a video of her, upload it to youtube or vimeo, then copy and paste the link here? Seeing a video will give me a better idea of her current state and how to proceed.

Welcome to BYC, sorry your hen is not well. Is a vet an option? If no, can you take a video of her, upload it to youtube or vimeo, then copy and paste the link here? Seeing a video will give me a better idea of her current state and how to proceed.
Thank you. No vet. Unfortunately, my storage is full and I can't take pics or videos. She has an empty crop, a full abdomen that's soft, and is sensitive to touch on her right abdomen. Her demeanor has improved today, little by little, better each day, but still no egg. She's getting Epsom soaks for 30 minutes or so, three times a day. I gently massage as I towel her off. I've lubed her vent, inside and out. Gave her a Tums each day, but not sure if I should continue; don't want to create other problems. She eats, but fussily; only black oil sunflower seeds, wild bird seed, cracked corn and bread soaked in water (to get fluids in her). She waddles with her legs slightly spread. Looks just like the videos of an egg bound hen; like a penguin. She stands mostly, like it's painful to sit. She's been in the house for three days now. The first day, I played her on her side, so she could relax and sleep, which was fine, but I haven't done it since. This morning, she was sitting/laying down normally in a bed I made her, inside a large dog kennel with food and water. I'm thinking of letting her sun bathe on the deck after this soak. It's 52 degrees and full sun. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Have you actually felt inside for an egg?
No, I'm afraid to hurt her or break it. I can feel it on the outside. It's been over a week! I'm going to the farm store today to look for help. Her attitude is much better. She looks happier. She talks a lot, like her old self. She sunbathes on the deck after her morning soak. I towel dry her and massage her lightly after her soak, put essential oils on her feet and over her egg as I massage it down. No luck. But, she seems in less pain and is pooping more. I lube the outside of the vent with Vaseline and inside with canola oil.

Back
Top Bottom