Egg bound

Apparently, she only eats grapes and watermelons now, I gave her some honey water, but she won’t drink. Her crop has some food right now and emptied this morning, so she is eating. I also noticed that only one leg is in paralysis...

Good news! She drank lots of water and ate a little bit of beetles from our mealworm farm. It’s good to know she is drinking. One of her feet seems to work really well, but because one can’t work she cannot stand all the way up...I hope it’s not cancer :(
I'm glad that she drank some water.
I would place food/water it where she can reach it easily since she's having a hard time getting about.
Watermelon is pretty good to get fluids into them too.

Hopefully she will start to make a turn for the better.

I'm glad that she drank some water.
I would place food/water it where she can reach it easily since she's having a hard time getting about.
Watermelon is pretty good to get fluids into them too.

Hopefully she will start to make a turn for the better.
Thanks! Not sure what she got...but every few hours, I check on her to replace her and her spot/place the food and water in place/ clean the towel she is on. I am not sure exactly how, but she still has solid poop, with a few that are sort of wet. Like the one she got on her butt. I hope she recovers from whatever she got...which is like a mix of egg bound and water belly and Marek’s?!

Anyways, she is still eating and drinking today. I got her some medicated grower feed with added calcium. She also gets a few pieces of watermelon in the morning. I washed off some poop stuck to her feathers yesterday.

I am debating whether or not to deworm her…should I?

She is still eating and drinking. Although I personally believe she is getting better…She does seem to be getting worse in some areas. She is still eating and drinking, whenever I go check on her and reposition her, but when I feed her, she seems to have trouble breathing slightly when she is eating. I don’t know if I am hearing things or not. But she has heavy breathing whenever it’s hot.

EMERGECNY!!!: @Wyorp Rock @azygous I know why she is acting like how she was. Today, as I was going to put her to bed and wash her butt, I saw her vent was swollen. Upon further inspection, both her feet still work (she used it to push my hand, they just cannot function well). And it looks like thousands of mites or lice are on her. I think maybe she had a few at the start, but because she did not move around and take dust bathes, they INFESTED on her! So do I just purchase poultry dust? And dust the entire flock? I REALLY need help. I suspect my flock may have some too, so I will dust all of them. I will probably also keep another container of poultry dust handy. I have been handling her daily, and helping her everywhere, so I am guessing I have what she has too...please help, any advice is APPRECIATED! I am guessing her towel had a bunch of bugs too...how should I disinfect it?!

Poultry dust or spray are both fine to use.

For the towel, I would put it in a bucket of hot soapy water outside and let it soak for a while, then rinse with the hose. Then launder it.

When a hen is unwell, they can become infested, you are right about that. I would also treat the cage or carrier she's in/wipe it down. Treat the rest of your flock and their housing too. That's a big job! Permethrin spray will be easier to use when treating the housing.

Poultry dust or spray are both fine to use.

For the towel, I would put it in a bucket of hot soapy water outside and let it soak for a while, then rinse with the hose. Then launder it.

When a hen is unwell, they can become infested, you are right about that. I would also treat the cage or carrier she's in/wipe it down. Treat the rest of your flock and their housing too. That's a big job! Permethrin spray will be easier to use when treating the housing.
Sorry, it looks like it’s not mites any more, my guess is maggots, but I am not sure…I am so worried, it looks awful! I have no idea what to do. Any help is appreciated. It’s all over her vent and she has poop all over her butt also. Will the flock have it as well?

Attachments

• 111E8193-BAB9-4ADC-95F1-1D97E8145066.jpeg
    111E8193-BAB9-4ADC-95F1-1D97E8145066.jpeg
    887.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 1AC1A80C-292A-4C6D-9FF5-237D6CA5BCC4.jpeg
    1AC1A80C-292A-4C6D-9FF5-237D6CA5BCC4.jpeg
    514.9 KB · Views: 21
Sorry, it looks like it’s not mites any more, my guess is maggots, but I am not sure…I am so worried, it looks awful! I have no idea what to do. Any help is appreciated. It’s all over her vent and she has poop all over her butt also. Will the flock have it as well?
So it’s a fly strike now…I have heard it can kill her…

You are right, it's maggots. You will need to get rid of those asap.

Wash her vent in warm soapy water, this will help remove a lot of them. Then pick off as many as you can with tweezers. Repeat the process. Give her breaks if she's stressed.

Flystrike can be very serious and yes, it can kill the bird in a short period of time.

Once you start cleaning her up, check to see if you can find a wound on the outside of her body or where the maggots are coming from.

Do you have someone that can help you with this?

I'm sorry sweetie. Do the best you can:hugs

Back
Top Bottom