Egg bound??

She may have another egg coming. Most chickens can swallow a whole calcium tablet, especially since they can eat mic and frogs whole. Repeat the calcium tablet about 600 mg today and again tomorrow if she is still having these issues. She could be low in calcium or having a reproductive disorder such as salpingitis, or a problem with her shell gland. Hopefully, she will sort this out. If her vent becomes messy you can soak her again, but not if she seems very weak or gasping. I would consider switching back to a layer feed, or make sure they are taking enough crushed oyster shell for calcium. Do any other hens have soft or thin shelled eggs?

@Eggcessive no other hens are having issues. Our goats knocked down our oyster shells so they have been scattered on the ground but I have refilled and set back up the feeder for the oyster shells. I would have never known she was having issues if it wasn’t for finding the egg shell stuck to her.

Let us know how she gets along.

Today she has either some bloody stool or a blood clot about the size of a dime but still no egg or anymore shell. I gave her another tablet this morning. She’s looking a bit messy on the back half so I’ll give her another bath this afternoon while hopefully moves things along. She overall seems fine, my husband wants to put her back with the flock /:

Pictures of droppings are always welcome. I would continue the calcium for a few more days, but as long as she feels okay, she should be able to rejoin her flock.Let us know how she gets along.
IMG_4511.jpeg

Here is a photo from just now.
Should I do the bath again or just release her to the flock and make sure to get the tablets in her daily?

That is a lot of clotted blood. I’m not sure if that is from a reproductive issue, or something else. I am going to tag @azygous and @Wyorp Rock in case they know if a hen laying soft or shell-less eggs would pass blood clots or not. I would let her loose unless she needs her vent cleaned up, and then keep an eye on where she is roosting, so you could look for more droppings with blood. You could always separate her tomorrow morning if things change.

The blood clot may be a harmless broken blood vessel given that she seem okay otherwise. It it happens again along with a turn in her behavior, she could need coccidiosis treatment.
Okay we had to treat our chicks about a month ago after being in the coop with our older flock. The chicks had a medication dose and the rest of the flock drank the same water so it was more of a maintenance dose for them.

Back
Top Bottom